Text bugs

• 1 July 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

A few issues with the Miro text features:

1. The text box appears to be character limited, and will start deleting the text from the bottom while typing elsewhere, without notice that you are loosing content. Give me a warning! (or remove the limits)
  2. Sometimes the cursor moves elsewhere and starts inputting your text in another place in the box. Seems worse when box has a lot of content
  3. When correcting misspellings by right clicking a red-underlined word immediately after typing it (prior to clicking out of the text box and then back in), the entire line of text is deleted (or the entire box if there is only one line)
  4. When pasting in text from elsewhere, if cursor is just on the board, and not in a text box, the text is pasted as an image. Maybe this is a feature and not a bug, but it is a weird behavior. 

Chrome Version 89.0.4389.114

Probably Enterprise plan (based on how many people)

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Meredith A - This should be reported to Miro support:

learning center, Get help, Support

Userlevel 1

thanks! I scanned the how to for Support but your video is 1000% more helpful!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Meredith A - You’re welcome :grin:

I had made that before Miro made theirs on this page → How to Contact Miro Support

Userlevel 1

Tech support replied that #1 is known and in work.

#2 & 3 are intermittent so I cannot re-create to show, unsure if they will look into it. 

#4 I was asking to use Browser Miro vs desktop … which is like, not actually supporting your product? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Meredith A - Thanks for the update :relaxed: 

4. When pasting in text from elsewhere, if cursor is just on the board, and not in a text box, the text is pasted as an image. Maybe this is a feature and not a bug, but it is a weird behavior. 

There are a number of things to consider here.

• What is your OS?
  • What was the source of the of text you were paste that was ending up as an image? It doesn’t sound like it is plain text as I have never experienced or heard of Miro converting text into an image file.
  • What was the text? Was it a website address?
  • What browser extensions do you have installed?
  • What  happens if you first paste the text into a text editor, e.g., Notepad? Are there any strange symbols?

#4 I was asking to use Browser Miro vs desktop … which is like, not actually supporting your product? 

In all fairness to Miro, they do not own any browser, just as a car manufacturer doesn’t own the gas you put in your car or the roads you drive your car on. All Miro can do is strive to build an application that conforms to a set of web standards. However sometimes bugs make their way into a browser release (or even Miro’s code).

Another challenge Miro is faced with browser are extensions, which can cause all sorts of issues with Miro--and other websites--functionality. There is a fairly recent example where the Grammarly extension broke Ctrl/Cmd + V pasting in Miro. Grammarly has since disabled their extension altogether for the miro.com domain. So, Miro asking you to use their desktop app is a form of customer support as they work through a process-of-elimination, starting with removing the browser (and any extensions) and having you try an interface they own and maintain.

Userlevel 1

Oops, forgot to put this part in this post (but was in the tech support message)

• Desktop app on Macbook Pro with Big Sur 11.2.3
  • Not plain text, true. It’s been all sorts of text from emails (Outlook), OneNote, other Miro boards. 
  • nope
  • none, using desktop. (Shouldnt’ve mentioned Chrome in the OP, that was a goof on my part.)
  • No symbols with TextEdit. On a mac, so no Notepad.

Yea, I’m using the desktop app, this part no longer relevant. Don’t see a way to edit my original post. <sigh>

Yes a Bug

when Pasting too much text into a text box which is unpredictable as to when the Message Too Much Text appears. Sometimes adding 2 or 3 lines into a text box with less than 100 characters will trigger this event.

but the alarming part is that it deletes a large amount of the text already typed.

If you hit the undo you have a 50/50 chance of getting the text back especially if you are in the text box.

This has and renders the paste text totally useless as you will never know if your text (many words) at the end of the text box will be deleted.

Pasting Text is a pretty basic required feature with any text editor so this looks to have been an ongoing issue for a while.