Team member does't have the left toolbar

I'm using a free Miro plan to share a board with my student. From the very start, she hasn’t had a left toolbar (only a cursor). I've made sure that she's added to the team AND board with "can edit" access, we've checked if she can search for tools manually and return them to the toolbar as Miro community recommends in threads on this issue (she cannot, the search returns nothing).

I have three active Miroboards, each shared with only one other person. I don't experience this same issue with my other students on other boards - only with this one student. What can I do to assure she has the right tools? All we need at our lessons are dragging objects (which she can do), text tool, shape tool and pen tool.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Hasket! Could you perhaps share a screenshot? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

That’s was going to be my first question - more specifically, can you show us the board’s Share settings, e.g.:

And it would also be helpful to see a screenshot of exactly what the student is seeing - please include the entire board like in my example above.

Additional questions would be:

• Does this happen with all Miro boards that this user has even been on?
  • If they are using a browser, have they tried disabling all browser extensions?

@Robert Johnson Here is the screenshot of the board’s Share settings on my side. I’ve sent her the “Invite to team and board” link.

In case of this user it happens on all Miro boards - even those where nobody else is experiencing any problems. I haven’t asked her about browser extensions, but I will try doing that! Which ones might be causing this issue?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Hasket - Thanks for the screenshot. It’s hard to say which browser extension could be causing the issue as there are 100s of them.

I was going to ask more questions about the set up, but seeing as she can move objects on the board, she is a team member and does have edit access.

She could also try the Miro desktop app, which would have no browser extensions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Hasket -

Can you also check what browser she is using as IE (as an example) is not supported by Miro. Here is the list of supported browsers: https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017572814-Supported-browsers-browser-restrictions

Kiron

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Good point, @Kiron Bondale. I almost forgot that IE still exists haha.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Hasket Unfortunately it's extremely hard to know which extension might be causing the issue because 1) there are so many of them, and 2) they can manipulate basically anything on a page and even a lot of stuff in the actual browser itself.

By the way, have you tried giving her a public link? I.e, the Anyone with the link setting in the Share settings.

@Henrik Ståhl I haven’t, but is it worth trying if I have a Free Plan? I mean, my settings say that people invited via “Anyone with the link” won’t be able to edit the board 😶

@Kiron Bondale As a person with faith in others, I haven’t even considered her using IE. I guess I will have to ask her that, thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Henrik Ståhl I haven’t, but is it worth trying if I have a Free Plan? I mean, my settings say that people invited via “Anyone with the link” won’t be able to edit the board 😶

The only “Anyone with the link” option for Free Plan users is “Can view”, so this will not work for you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Kiron Bondale As a person with faith in others, I haven’t even considered her using IE. I guess I will have to ask her that, thanks!

😂😂😂

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Hasket Sorry, I missed you're on the Free Plan. I guess the best lead right now is to try different browsers. Maybe even ask her to download the desktop app?

upd: the issue went away after the user has downloaded a desktop version of Miro - all functions are available to her there) Thanks for the help!