[SUPPORT RESPONDED] PDF files displaying incomplete words with gaps

Robert Johnson 1 year ago

Response from Miro support:

This is Julia from the Technical Support team. I will be assisting you with this request. Thank you for your patience thus far and thank you for your proactiveness in the Community. 

Our engineering team believes the issue is caused by a hardware acceleration issue on the Windows side. This is not something that Miro has any control over. Therefore, at the moment, we are unable to provide a fix. I understand that this may not be the update you were hoping for so I'd like to thank you in advance for your understanding. 

As next steps, the engineering team will monitor the situation. As well as investigate some of the Miro widgets (i.e document) that are a part of this issue in order to see if we can make any adjustments or improvements from our side. 

Myself or someone else from the team may reach out to you in the future with updates from the engineering team. Unless you have any further questions, I will mark this ticket as resolved. Thanks again for your assistance with reporting the issue!

So, it appears this not a Miro bug and is isolated to Windows.

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Gloria Hildebrandt -

I’m seeing something similar happen on my end too with a test PDF (see below) so it looks like there might be a new bug. If you are on a paid subscription, could you open a Miro support request here: Submit a request – Miro Support & Help Center ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Same here. Here’s an example:

Zooming in/out, the pieces come and go - here it is also “normal”:

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Update:

I created a support ticket. The support team could not recreate the issue.

After some more investigation, I found the following:

1. the issue happens in both chrome and the Miro desktop app on my Windows 11 machine, but not my old Windows 10 machine.
  2. on my Windows 11 machine, if I disable "Hardware acceleration" in the Miro desktop app, the issue goes away.

@Gloria Hildebrandt & @Kiron Bondale - What are your test considitions?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Robert Johnson -

I only use Miro via a Chrome browser on my Windows 10 laptop. I just tried uploading the same PDF file with the desktop app and got the same results - it looks fine for a second and then the gaps appear.

Kiron

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Kiron Bondale - Thanks for confirming. I went into Chrome’s settings and searched for “acceleration” and disabled hardware acceleration and the issue goes away. This is not happening on my my spouse’s Windows 10 laptop at all, but it has slightly higher specs, so maybe that’s why.

thank you so much.

I have Windows 10 enterprise. However, I have turned off “acceleration” in the Chrome and Edge settings. This fixed the problem, however this slows down my browsers.

I take it that this is a workaround but could not possibly be the solution to the problem.

or?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Gloria Hildebrandt

I take it that this is a workaround but could not possibly be the solution to the problem.

Correct - not a solution, but a workaround and confirmation of a link to what may be causing the issue.

I have opened a Miro support ticket and will share this information.

@Robert Johnson thank you so much for your support and creating a Miro support ticket.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Response from Miro support:

This is Julia from the Technical Support team. I will be assisting you with this request. Thank you for your patience thus far and thank you for your proactiveness in the Community. 

Our engineering team believes the issue is caused by a hardware acceleration issue on the Windows side. This is not something that Miro has any control over. Therefore, at the moment, we are unable to provide a fix. I understand that this may not be the update you were hoping for so I'd like to thank you in advance for your understanding. 

As next steps, the engineering team will monitor the situation. As well as investigate some of the Miro widgets (i.e document) that are a part of this issue in order to see if we can make any adjustments or improvements from our side. 

Myself or someone else from the team may reach out to you in the future with updates from the engineering team. Unless you have any further questions, I will mark this ticket as resolved. Thanks again for your assistance with reporting the issue!

So, it appears this not a Miro bug and is isolated to Windows.

@Robert Johnson could you tell me please where exactly I should disable this hardware acceleration? I can’t find it(

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Natasha English - See your other post here:

https://community.miro.com/ask-the-community-45/pdf-text-is-not-readable-12160?postid=47260#post47260

Hi I have a PDF that displays properly in Acrobat, loads properly in Miro, but then a most of the words disappear. I’m on a Mac and am using Chrome. I turned off Acceleration in Chrome settings but this didn’t fix it. I have also tried opening the board in Safari but unfortunately the problem is replicated there.

Any support you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

I am having the exact same issue as Nova in what appears to be a similar context. It looks like Nova's pdfs are scans of handwritten pages, which IS the case for me. The PDFs appear to render correctly but then most of the file almost disappears. I can still see the paper color, but not printed or handwritten words on the page.

I have tried both the Windows app, as well as Firefox browser. I've also tried turning off the hardware acceleration per the earlier pdf rendering issue work around (both in Firefox and windows app). That did not work. I just started using miro (hoping to stop using OneNote) so it would be great if this issue gets fixed. Also, dragging the file into OneNote renders prefectly. 

So a year later, this issue still isn’t resolved?