Answered

Super/Sub-script text

• 12 September 2020
  • 9 replies

Hi all,

Is it possible to superscript numbers etc. in any way? 

I would like to write some formulas in a board using the text feature, but I don’t see any way to subscript or superscript text.

Best,

Ditlev

icon

Best answer by Robert Johnson 12 September 2020, 21:56

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Ditlev Bornebusch - Note: I had to edit this response after seeing different behaviors when viewing my test sticky notes on my phone and between my phone (Android/Miro app and also Chrome browser) and my laptop (Windows 10/Chrome browser).

From my experiences using Miro, they do not appear to offer any way to change fonts to sub/superscript. Therefore, it is up to the users input method (physical/virtual keyboard, operating system, etc.).

Example: I am writing this from reply from my phone where I just launched the Miro Android app using my Gboard (Google Keyboard all) entered "H²O" into a sticky note and it accepted it just fine:

I then viewed it from the Chrome browser app on my phone and it looks the same as it did in the mobile app:

I couldn’t get the Gboard app to do subscript, so I downloaded a keyboard app called MathKeyboard from the Google Play Store and entered the following from my Android phone:

Except it looks like this when viewing from Chrome and the Miro app on my Windows laptop:

One last test of superscript letters - from my Android device:

And how it looks in Windows:

I suppose that from these tests, there may be room for improvement on Miro’s end:

• consistency between superscript and subscript numbers font face; and
  • showing superscript slightly above the font midline (as it appears to do for subscript).

While I am no expert on the topic of sub/superscript, given the above examples, perhaps there is something Miro could do to improve the way these characters are displayed. If you agree, I would recommend adding this as an Idea in the Wish List category by following the guidelines here: Wish List: Everything You Need to Know

Userlevel 4

Wow @Robert Johnson  you must be burning the midnight oil!

How long did this answer take? Very public spirited of you
I’m unsure that downloading android keyboards would be an ‘acceptable’ ongoing solution for me - I get the ‘technically possible’ and the abilities that are therefore in reach at a pinch 

Interesting that internally the text formats are stored

Rob, do they survive through a cut-n-paste? If so maybe a miroverse board with a ‘library’ on it from which items can be copied - again an arcane solution but possibly better than using a ‘fone to create or switching to a ‘fone when editing symbols is needed?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Simon.Harris - the reply did take a while, but sometimes I just can’t curb my curiosity!

The copy-and-paste does appear to remain intact while on my phone, but doesn’t appear carry over into the Miro objects.

Is it possible to type superscript and subscript when using chrome browser ? or is there any other option 

available?

There is one option, this works in chrome too
Keep your cursor next to the text where you want to keep footnote reference, holding Alt key add the footnote codes
Superscript 1: Alt + 0185
Superscript 2: Alt + 0178
Superscript 3: Alt + 0179

Hope this is useful…. Happy Working :)

It doesn’t work for me T-T 

There is one option, this works in chrome too
Keep your cursor next to the text where you want to keep footnote reference, holding Alt key add the footnote codes
Superscript 1: Alt + 0185
Superscript 2: Alt + 0178
Superscript 3: Alt + 0179

Hope this is useful…. Happy Working :)

Hi @Snehassree M ! By any chance have you got the complete list of shortcut keys for the rest of the digits (0, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)? It will really be helpful if you do. Thanks!

Hi there! Is there still no real option to add sub or superscript text properly? Having to look up those sub- or superscript character codes for each character individually is totally infeasible for the workflow I’m aiming for. 

Hi! I also need the sub and superscript options for my algebra mindmap - copying from word does not work =(