STILL can't figure out how to resize columns in a table...

• 11 July 2022
  • 3 replies

I guess I must be stupid.  I took one of the gantt template tables they had, and at first it was working well enough - able to add rows, add columns, resize columns, etc.  

Now it just flat-out refuses, no matter what I try. I know there’s the one mode where it has the icon with arrows in all directions for moving the object. Then, double-clicking in to Select mode changes it to a hand lets me type in the cells.. but no matter how I hover over the lines, there is never any possibility now to resize the columns.

It’s a mouse with two buttons on it.  You right click; you left click; you point to certain menus.  Why is something that should be so user-intuitive so hard?..

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Miroslav Vida - In order to help troubleshoot your issue, I first had to make some assumptions and find the template you are referring to - I believe this is the Gantt Chart template:

Looking at what the partial screenshot you shared, when I add the Gantt Chat template, it looks a bit different - specifically the rows are not a tall.

I have tested with a mouse on a Windows 11 laptop (64-bit) on both Chrome and Firefox, and on the Miro desktop app and am not experiencing the behaviour you are describing.

When did you add this Gantt Chart template to a board? If it was many moths ago, perhaps it is using the old “Grids” and not the newer “Tables”.

Next, I would as: How are you accessing Miro? Brower/OS/device/etc.?

Some further troubleshooting you can do:

• If you are using a browser to access Miro:
    • Sign out and back in (a code change may have been pushed and needs to be picked up)
    • clear the cache
    • disable all extensions (opening an incognito/private browser window usually takes care of this for you)
    • Try a different browser
    • Try the Miro desktop app
  • If using the Miro desktop app, reset the application data.

If none of that works, please share a screenshot of what you are seeing. A screen recording is even better - Loom is free and easy to use/share a video.

Also, does this happen on every board?

Can you try from a different device/computer?

Does it happen for any other board participants?

What happens if you duplicate the board?

Is the board shared with others? If so, what happens if you make the board private and share it again? (Only an option if you are the board owner, and the board is not in a free plan.)

If you are on a paid plan, you can also report this directly to the Miro support team - instructions can be found here → https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020185799-How-to-contact-Miro-Support#h_01F010RXA0E1S9C0WFQYX75R6C  

Thanks, Robert - I did figure it out. It’s that I was zoomed in to only 50%, and apparently Miro requires you to be zoomed in at least 75% in order to trigger the column adjustment capability within Select mode; else it only lets you edit text.  Not the most intuitive thing for the user, but it works.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Miroslav Vida - Nice find! I tested this too and it looks like it may be linked to a specific board zoom level, rather a combination of zoom level and object size as I was able get the “adjustment” cursor at 29%:

Thanks for updating us!