Answered

Static text box width

• 22 June 2020
  • 5 replies

Hi there! I’m loving using Miro but I can’t for the life of me find out how to keep a text box from expanding automatically as I type. For example, I’ve drawn out a square shape and I want to type in bullets in the dimensions of this square. However, when I use a text box on top of the square, despite drawing it to the width of the shape, if I type a long sentence the width goes wider than the width of the square. Is there any way that I can ‘lock’ the dimensions of the text box? 

I would double click within the text box and use the text feature in there but as far as I can see I can’t use bullet points within that feature. 

Any help? 

Thanks! :) 

icon

Best answer by Kiron Bondale 22 June 2020, 23:47

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Jessica Ellison perhaps some screenshots of your issue might help?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Jessica Ellison -

The behavior I’ve experienced is:

1. If it is a free-standing text box, it will automatically grow based on how much you type in until you “hit” a separate object at which point it wraps
  2. If it is the text within a shape (e.g. square) other than a sticky note (which resizes text automatically to fit) it will auto-wrap based on the dimensions of the shape

Are you creating a separate text box and dropping it on top of a shape instead of following #2 above?

Kiron

@Jessica Ellison -

The behavior I’ve experienced is:

1. If it is a free-standing text box, it will automatically grow based on how much you type in until you “hit” a separate object at which point it wraps
  2. If it is the text within a shape (e.g. square) other than a sticky note (which resizes text automatically to fit) it will auto-wrap based on the dimensions of the shape

Are you creating a separate text box and dropping it on top of a shape instead of following #2 above?

Kiron

Hi Kiron, 

Yes, I’m adding in a separate text box because I need bullet points and as far as I can see, writing directly into a shape doesn’t allow me that functionality. Is that correct? 

Jess 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Jessica Ellison -

you are correct - unfortunately shape text doesn’t allow bulleted or numbered lists and dropping a text box into the shape will not obey the shape dimensions as far as the text box size goes so your only option is to create the text and then re-size the text box.

I’d suggest adding a wish list topic here (https://community.miro.com/wish-list-32) for adding bullets, numbering and indent/outdent capabilities to shape text as I can’t locate an existing wish list item for this.

Kiron

@Kiron Bondale - thanks for the reply! I’ll guess I’ll just have to resize the text box whenever I need it to align to a shape. Thanks for the heads up about the wish list topic, I’ll get around to doing that. You’ve been super helpful! :)