Squatting on common browser shortcuts

• 16 February 2022
  • 3 replies

The Miro web app squats on common browser shortcuts. Specifically ctrl/cmd-[1 2 0] for various zoom levels interferes with Chrome’s ctrl/cmd-[1 2 3 … 9] for quick-switching among the first-9 / last tabs. I understand not everyone uses these shortcuts, but for those of who do, they become second-nature, with tabs intentionally positioned so that they can be quickly accessed.

If there were simply a configuration option that allowed these keyboard shortcuts to be disabled or changed, it would be a huge help for day-to-day use. I can’t seem to find an option of this sort, but perhaps I’m missing something?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Joel Webber - There is currently no way for users to disable or customize Miro board shortcuts. 

I would suggest that we move your post to the Wish List category where other community members can upvote and comment on it. 

While you do have the ability to modify your post body, you cannot edit the title. Before I move it, please think about what title you would like to see, e.g., "Customize (or disable) Miro shortcuts". I will update the title and move the post to the Wish List category.

You can read more about Wish List post guidelines here:

https://community.miro.com/community-welcome-guide-14/wish-list-everything-you-need-to-know-1099 

@Robert Johnson I would argue that although general customization of Miro shortcuts is a wishlist item, the issue of overriding ctrl/cmd+1-9 is a particularly serious issue that should be addressed. Even including shift in the shortcuts would help here

@Robert Johnson : Sorry I missed this… six months ago? Feel free to move it to the wishlist -- I just scanned it and don’t see anything that directly addresses this issue, but I’m quite certain I’m not the only person experiencing it.

There are several “keyboard shortcut” entries, many of which are all variations on a theme. While the ability to remap shortcuts in various ways would be nice, as Alistair points out, this is a very narrow problem that could benefit from a very narrow solution. So feel free to add this to one of those if someone’s actually picking it up to work on. Or you can move it to its own entry with a title something like “resolve alt/cmd-N shortcut conflict with Chrome shortcuts”.

In all honesty, I’d even go so far as to describe it as a “bug”, as it interferes with default browser behavior that many people rely on commonly for navigation. I’ve had to train myself to use different keyboard shortcuts to switch tabs (that don’t work as well) when I happen to be on one of my Miro tabs, which is kind of a UX minefield.

Thanks,

Joel