Skip to main content
Question

Some strangers come to my board, but I didn't share my link

Hi guys! I’m a teacher and I share the board with two of my students, but one day I’ve noticed that some other people come to our board. They usually come every 2-3 mins, stay for 5 sec and then go. And then come again with different avatars. I’ve created a new board, gave the link to my students, but all these strangers also came to our new board. I have set a password on my board and only shared it with my students, and even after that some strangers still come to my board. How can it be possible?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Yulia Park - A likely scenario is that, if there folks are not members of you team, then they have access to the password (and link, obviously) perhaps either through unauthorized access to one of your student’s emails or it was shared (unknowingly or as a joke) by a student.

I would suggest that you have change the password to the board. I just did a test and if someone is on the board using the current password, as soon as you change the password, they lose access to the board.

I would also suggest that you review your list of team members:

Thank you! There are no any other users except me, and I’ve already asked my students, they didn’t share the password. The strangest thing is that right after I’ve changed the password, there were 3-4 new people came to my board (and then left the board after 5 sec).

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Yulia Park - Which subscription do you have with Miro? Education, Starter, or Business Plan?

And presumably your students required edit access to the board?

You also did the right thing by making a copy of the board, which created a new link/URL.

You could do a test where you create a board for each student, setting a password, and them individually sending them the board link and password via your common method, e.g., email, and watch to see which board is opened - this could show which student’s email could be compromised. However, someone could also be accessing your email and therefore the board links/passwords?

@Yulia Park - Which subscription do you have with Miro? Education, Starter, or Business Plan?

And presumably your students required edit access to the board?

You also did the right thing by making a copy of the board, which created a new link/URL.

You could do a test where you create a board for each student, setting a password, and them individually sending them the board link and password via your common method, e.g., email, and watch to see which board is opened - this could show which student’s email could be compromised. However, someone could also be accessing your email and therefore the board links/passwords?

I have a Starter subscription. Yeah, I will definitely try to track it, thanks for your help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Yulia Park - You’re welcome!

By the way, if your students did not need to edit the board, you could use the Guest feature to give them direct view or comment access. More on the Guests feature here:

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360021415119-Collaboration-with-Guests

Education Plan

Since your profile mentions you are a Teacher, it’s worth mentioning that Miro offers a free Education Plan license for teachers and students (depending on the educational institution type).

Miro's Education Plan has two options:

• Student – Work on assignments and group projects.
    • 10 team members
    • Free for 2 years, the it goes back to a Free Plan team (reapply later if still a student)
  • Educator – Set up your online classroom
    • 100 team members
    • Free forever!

More information can be found in the Education Plan help center article, along  with the application form link (search the page for "application form"):

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017730473-Education-Plan

Note: If you are unable to complete the application form due to your educational institution not providing you with an email address, please leave a reply in this post:

https://community.miro.com/ask-the-community-45/here-s-what-to-do-if-you-can-t-apply-for-education-plan-cause-your-email-isn-t-accepted-9597