Select drag is Unusable now.

• 20 January 2022
  • 3 replies

Hi ive been using miro for a few years- and i dont know when- but now when i drag select, anything in that square becomes marked. Why? can i turn this off? it is destroying my workflow and draggin it down to us not using miro no more. since its an enormous time sink..

Unless the entire object is in the marked area i do not want to select it.
If i just want ten small pictures moved, placed on a big square? i need to deselect the big square! ITS INSUFFERABLE

Please tell me i can turn that off and get it back to how it was.
Am i just missing something?

please help

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Lovisa - Unfortunately you cannot turn this off. A little known--or new--feature at the time that Miro made this navigation changes is that you can long-hold you mouse button to start the “precise” select mode, which only includes an object if you cover 90+% of an object. Honestly, Miro should have made this the default behaviour and let people choose if they wanted to do an “select anything I touch” mode by doing a long press.

Here is a note about this in the How to select and move multiple objects help center article:

To start a precise selection that only includes an object if it covers 90%+ of its surface, long click/press and drag. This is helpful if you need to select objects on top of another background shape.

160abf839b137a98effb0881c668c6ea1d9a24cc.gif
Selecting multiple stickies on top of a shape with precise selection tool

And the post where I first learned about this long-holdfeature:

https://community.miro.com/ask-the-community-45/is-anyone-else-struggling-with-the-changes-to-the-select-functionality-6788?postid=28803#post28803

You are a life saver- sure I still have the time sinkhole since it needs a long click... but this atleast takes away “the unselect all the extra, after select” im doing now. Thank you! <3

But yes I wish you could atleast switch these features in settings or chose your own keybind for them.

Its funny since its a vital part on how we, in my team, use miro and its killing us. :(

Another example of how miro developers must not actually use miro….