[RESOLVED] Mind map issues - Ghost/orphan lines after nodes deleted - missing Duplicate and Delete actions in context menu

I just wanted to try out Miro as a tool for mind mapping but I can’t even do basic edits. Once I add an element, there’s no way to edit it. I can delete the text bubble but the line stays and there is no way to event select it.

As I have never used Miro mind maps before, are they a new feature that’s not really functional yet or how can I fix this?

Here’s a quick video demonstration:

Robert Johnson 23 days ago

@Bastian K - Coincidentally, I just added a mind map template to a board, and there is no placeholder text or duplicate and delete actions:

I am going to open a support ticket for clarification and will update this post as I hear back from the support team.

View original

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Bastian K - A few things I noticed from your video were:

When you select a mind map node, your context menu is missing the Duplicate and Delete actions, e.g., what I see in my Miro UI:

And what I see in yours:

• You appear to have changed your Miro account language to Español, so I did the same, in case there was something in that language causing the issue, i.e., a bug, but my UI still looks fine.
  • I also noticed that, when you delete any typed text from a node, your placeholder text of “type something” does not return, e.g., my Miro:
  • Yours:

With these UI differences, I would suggest that

1. you clear your cache (and maybe even sign out/back in to Miro
  2. and if that doesn’t work, you may have a browser extension interfering with the Miro UI, so I would suggest that you try a process-of-elimination exercise and either start disabling browser extensions one-by-one and testing, or disable them all, test, and start re-enabling them again. 
    1. Note: There is currently an outstanding incident where some ad blocker may be causing issues. I had also seen Grammarly cause issues in the past. See the incident here → https://status.miro.com/incidents/kptx1rww58h5
Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Bastian K - Coincidentally, I just added a mind map template to a board, and there is no placeholder text or duplicate and delete actions:

I am going to open a support ticket for clarification and will update this post as I hear back from the support team.

I have the same issue. I posted here.

When I delete a node in my mind map, the line that connects it to its parent node doesn’t get deleted. I have to manually refresh the page. This didn’t happen last time I used it last month.

I’m using

Apple Mac OS 14.4.1 (23E224)

Google Chrome Version 123.0.6312.107 (Official Build) (arm64)

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@3daysago / @Bastian K - Do you mind if I convert on of your your posts into a Miro support ticket, so you can work with them to share Chrome developer console errors logs (they support team has instructions on how to create these logs)?

@Robert Johnson Yes please

The mind maps are impossible to edit. Deleting a label (node) renders the dynamic line as orphans that are not possible to select and/or delete. The “eraser” does nothing except leave a temporary trail on the canvas (haven’t found anything that this actually erases). Using ⌘-A (Ctrl-A) to select all, leave the strains of lines outside the selection.

For the deleted nodes, it’s not possible to reinstate them to the existing – and unselectable – lines. Leaves me to believe that the lines are considered deleted, but not removed from the canvas. 

I’ve tried the web version (with Safari and Chrome) as well as the desktop app (MacOS). Same disappointing result.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Ståle Freyer - I moved your reply from the “Cannot delete an orphaned line/connector” post to the one you are viewing now, as the orphaned mind map connector line is currently being investigated by Miro.

A quick note: Other users have reported that a refresh of the board seems to delete the orphaned/stray lines.

I have the same issue.

Delete a node doesnt delete the connector until you refresh the page. 

I have exatcly the same problem from Brazil. I was about to going crazy. The annonimous chrome also doesnt work. The only way to fix it is refreshing the browser. 

I have the same issue as all of the above and it’s driving me nuts! 

Refreshing the browser does work but is not a good option!

Please can this be looked at by the team!

マインドマップで、ノードのコメントを削除しても、線だけが残ります。消し方をおしえてください。バグでしょうか?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@yamasaki - Yes, this is a known bug. I merged your post with an existing post. 

UPDATE: I can’t log into the account that I opened the topic with anymore. But I think they fixed it. It’s working for me at the moment! 💪

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@BastianKFF - Thanks for the update. It is working for me too.

@3daysago - Did hear back from the support team?

@Robert Johnson It’s working for me. The support team reached out a few days ago. They haven’t told me if it’s fixed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@3daysago - Great, thank you! I will update the title of this post.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

As multiple users are reporting the issue is no longer happening for them, I will set the title of this post to “RESOLVED”. If anyone experiences this again, please open a Miro support ticket by following these instructions:

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020185799-How-to-contact-Miro-Support#h_01F010RXA0E1S9C0WFQYX75R6C

Duplicate and Delete actions

Last week I could see the Duplicate and Delete actions when I had a child node selected, but they disappeared the next day.

I will post two more replies so you Like the reply/image you are seeing:

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Like this reply if you see these actions still:

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Like this reply if the Duplicate and Delete actions are missing for you: