[RESOLVED] Copying hyperlinks from cells in Excel into Stickies . . . used to work. : /

• 9 February 2021
  • 14 replies

I’m wondering what happened . . . .

I used to be able to create hyperlink/stickies to user stories in our internal Azure DevOps instance and bulk copy/paste those links as individual stickies on a Miro board.  Nothing fancy, nor over the top (<50).  All of the sudden, the links would come into Miro as plan text; no longer hyperlinks.  I can still use the ‘link’ feature to add the link once the sticky has been added, but, it adds so much time and steps to the process whereas before it was simply a single cut/paste.  The process used didn’t change.  I also enlisted colleagues to test and sure enough, they, too, lost the ability to create a sticky with a hyperlink.  What happened?

Thanks, in advance.

Marcus Bodin 3 years ago

Happy news, everyone! :grinning:

This issue should now be fixed. I just confirmed that it’s working in my browser (using Chrome on Mac). Attaching message from the support team below.

Let your efficiency flow once again :shower:

--

Hi Marcus,

Garret from the Support team here with an update.

Thank you for your patience! The development team has released a fix to the issue you were experiencing and you should now be able to copy and paste hyperlinks into Miro without the hyperlink converting back to plain text. Please note you may need to log out and back into Miro to ensure you are on the latest version of the client containing the fix.

Thanks,

Garret | Technical Support Engineer
Miro

View original

14 replies

I also noticed this and would love for my links to still copy over from excel...

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Diana De Cotiis / @Tyler Masters - I’m curious how the Excel cells are set up and how they used to look once pasted in to Miro.

Say I have these cells with links to https://community.miro.com:

If I paste them into a board, they end up like so:

As you can see, none of them have links.

Did they used to look like this example (the same result as when you manually add a link to a sticky note using right-click → Link to?):

Thanks for reply and the interest, @Robert Johnson .  There was nothing special about the cells in Excel - they were just formatted at Text and I used the hyperlink(function) to concatenate a link that was then cut/pasted (CTRL/C, CTRL/V).  The only thing I ever had to do was change the color of the sticky match the category intended.  Below is an example of the pasted output where the link was pasted as intended (hyperlink).  Currently, they come the same as your example (black, plain text).  Again, thanks for the interest.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Tyler Masters - Oddly enough, I 

1. just opened a board via my Chrome mobile browser and enabled "Desktop site":

2. Created a sticky note and pasted the link to this post into the sticky note and it became a link 😕:

Perhaps it is working again?

Hi, I’m still facing exactly the same issue that Tyler described. (And I loved to be able to paste links in Miro boards this way)

My configuration: Windows 10, Excel 2019, Miro Desktop (same behavior with Miro in Chrome (Version 88.0.4324.150))

It would be very nice if that could be fixed.

Hi! We have our full team backlog based on this functionality and really need it working again (to be able to do bulk edits). What’s the status on getting this working again? Thanks

Update: Tried this in both Chrome and on Win10 desktop app.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Marcus Bodin - Because you are also experiencing this issue and were the last person to reply to this post, I have just created a Miro support ticket from your reply.

If you could please let us all know know what the support team tells you, that would be be very helpful to us all. The support ticket also includes a link to this post, so the support team should already have enough information to get started with their investigation.

I have the same issue. I like to work in Excel and add hyperlinks which eventually I can copy and paste to my Miro Board. but only text shows up and the link is gone.

I am experiencing the same issue, except I’m copy/pasting from an HTML document.  I am selecting a rendered HTML <table> and copy/pasting it into Miro.  Each <td> element becomes its own sticky note, and <a> tags resulted in a link in the text of the sticky note.  Recently, the hyperlinks started pasting into stickies as plain text equal to the link label, rather than actual hyperlinks.  Additionally, <p> tags used to paste in as separate paragraphs (separated by a newline), and now I must include a <br/> tag in the table cell I’m pasting to get the same effect.

@Marcus Bodin Any update on the ticket?

@Jørgen Thomsen  I got the below reply on Feb 17, but nothing since.

Hi Marcus, 

Thank you for reaching out and reporting the issue! I'm sorry you've faced it :( 

This is indeed a bug on our end which prevents the hyperlinks from pasting as links to sticky notes when bulk-pasting from a spreadsheet. The good news is we're already aware of this and doing out best to fix this functionality. 

We'll be sure to keep you posted on the updates! 

For now, as a workaround, I may suggest you adding a space after the link in the sticky note to convert it into a hyperlink: 
?name=hyperlinks+workaround.gif

Please bear with us and feel free to ask any questions that appear!

Warm regards,

Marta
Miro

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Marcus Bodin - Thanks for the update! I have updated the title of this post to indicate that it is a BUG and the the ticket is still OPEN (I hope that makes sense?)

Happy news, everyone! :grinning:

This issue should now be fixed. I just confirmed that it’s working in my browser (using Chrome on Mac). Attaching message from the support team below.

Let your efficiency flow once again :shower:

--

Hi Marcus,

Garret from the Support team here with an update.

Thank you for your patience! The development team has released a fix to the issue you were experiencing and you should now be able to copy and paste hyperlinks into Miro without the hyperlink converting back to plain text. Please note you may need to log out and back into Miro to ensure you are on the latest version of the client containing the fix.

Thanks,

Garret | Technical Support Engineer
Miro

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Thanks for the update, @Marcus Bodin! I will mark this one as resolved.