[RESOLVED] Copying Elements with option+shift doesn't work any more

• 15 February 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2

Today I witnessed that one of the basic functions is missing. 

When you copy elements in a Miro board with option key and shift key combined, it usually copies the element (by draggin a duplicat) and holds it in it’s horizontal position.

It’s gone 👽 As soon as I click the shift button the “copy mode” is gone and the basic element just gets dragged. 

Is this by accident, a bug or is this wanted?

Hope it’s a bug.

Robert Johnson 1 year ago

@Shay Tea / @StupidJan / @B Hop - I received a message about three hours ago that a bug fix was released. You may need to sign out and back in, and may be clear your browser cache. Hopefully things are back to the way they used to be!

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@StupidJan - On a PC, I noted that, if I

1. select and object
  2. press Shift/Option + Alt,
  3. and then drag, the object is duplicated and moves at 45 degree increments.

However, if I press Alt, then Shift, the object does not duplicate. If this order of operations has changed slightly, perhaps this happened with another fairly recent change of using the Alt (instead of Ctrl) + 1, 2, 3, etc. to zoom at different levels.

For those who didn’t know:

All shortcuts: https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017731033-Shortcuts-and-hotkeys

I’m w stupidJuan, 

Just started my day, tried using the function and its gone. 

Fix asap please.

Ok, so as a quick fix (till miro fixes it properly). 
The command actually works still, its just that it has a time limit on it. 

If you use it quickly (1 sec) and then stop holding the buttons, the command still executes. 
Then you can use shift to move the object you have copied around. 

Seems like miro just needs to fix the time limit on the command. 
As one you pass the 1 sec or so it reverts to just moving (not copying). 

Hope that helps

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@StupidJan  / @Shay Tea - Someone is still looking into whether the change was intentional or not, but the behaviour now appears to be: Old Shift + Option + drag makes the object move at 45 degree increments, but if (while still holding down Shift + Option) you let go of the object and click and drag again, it duplicates and snaps. Are you experiencing this on your end?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Update #1 from Miro support is that this is a bug and a fix is already being worked on. No ETA yet.

Userlevel 2

@Robert Johnson Thanks so much for solving this 😎👍

Ok, so as a quick fix (till miro fixes it properly). 
The command actually works still, its just that it has a time limit on it. 

If you use it quickly (1 sec) and then stop holding the buttons, the command still executes. 
Then you can use shift to move the object you have copied around. 

Seems like miro just needs to fix the time limit on the command. 
As one you pass the 1 sec or so it reverts to just moving (not copying). 

Hope that helps

This is a decent work around in the short term. Thanks for the tip!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Shay Tea / @StupidJan / @B Hop - I received a message about three hours ago that a bug fix was released. You may need to sign out and back in, and may be clear your browser cache. Hopefully things are back to the way they used to be!