Recording a video tutorial: Is there a specific screen+audio recording platform?

We’d like to create a brief video showing folks how to use our board. Is there a specific screen+audio recording platform someone could recommend to make the process of making this video as easy and seamless as possible?

11 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

I can think of two right now. Snagit is a great screen cap/screen recording application. I’ve used it for years, and you can easily grab a picture of a specific part of your screen, or do full video screen capture with audio which can be mixed to .mp4 or other common format. The only downside (and there may be a solution to this) is that the pictures and videos are saved locally on your computer. https://www.techsmith.com/screen-capture.html

But likely better for you is Loom. Loom is a free/subscription-based service that allows you to record your desktop with audio and when you are finished, the video is presented on their website where you can do edits and eventually share. This has fast become my go-to app for screen capture, for obvious reasons.https://www.loom.com/

Here is a quick example of Loom!

Hope this helps.

Jon

Can we upload a video or audio file from the desktop?

Can we record audio using Miro board?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Marwan Bairaqdar - You cannot upload video or audio files directly into a Miro board. The only supported file formats at this time are:

Embedding media into boards

Probably one of the most commonly used and best from a user-experience perspective would be to upload your video to YouTube (and convert any audio files into a video and upload it to YouTube) and then embed the YouTube video into the board - read more about this in the Embedding Media to Boards Help Center article.

Can we record audio using Miro board?

Miro doesn’t have any recording options. If you are looking to record what you are doing in Miro, use Loom or SnagIt or some other screen and audio recording software.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@carrie mclaren & @Jonathan White & @Robert Johnson :

The answer and enhancement from snagit and direct competitor to loom is Camtasia.

https://www.techsmith.com/video-editor.html

The difference is:

You only have to pay once and never more … 

And you can create and save your files onto your own server …

The things you can do with camtasia are endless:

I’m using Camtasia since 2002 and still using it.

Michael

I love Camtasia, and I have to admit that it’s the most feature-rich yet still easy-to-use video editor and recorder for me. It’s just too expensive. Joyoshare recorder can be an alternative if you need a handy and reliable recorder with fewer editing tools. Sometimes I will use it to make how-to videos as well. 

Hi Carrie

I’m quite surprised no-one else has mentioned mmhmm to you.

Very user-friendly, fun, engaging, and with lots of video tutorials to make you look slick and professional.  You can embed yourself not only in your slides, but you can use your live browser page as a background too.

It’s a paid app, but there’s also a fully-functional free option - with all the bells and whistles - where you can use it for an hour free of charge every single day.  Well worth investigating! (I am nothing to do with them, btw - just a happy customer!)

Here’s their YT channel - all the tip videos are really short.

Best of luck,

Helen

Userlevel 1
Badge

Agree with may of the options above.
If you want this really quick (and you don’t have to edit): record yourself on Zoom, then upload the video to Youtube (you’ll need to consider privacy concerns here, of course). Share the youtube link on your board.

This is how I have done my generic Miro intro I share with newbies.

Userlevel 4

Just wanted to tease here that you will soon be able to create board recordings in Miro! 😃

It’s actually even more interesting than screen recorders, because your video is tied to your Miro board, and when other people play it back they are watching your recording and following you inside the board itself. 

Here’s a demo video on how it works: 

Talktrack is currently in limited beta and will be released to all users in the next few months!  

You can also read more about Talktrack in this help article.

It’s also already heavily used by the Miro team, you can read more about how it’s being used here,

hey @Sophia Chia, how can I enable beta functions?
I’m an admin of an enterprise plan.

Thanks!

Userlevel 4

Hey @marciocmartins ! 

I’ve reached out to you in private message. :)