R&D center in Russia

• 28 February 2022
  • 10 replies

Hi guys, 

Our Digital Security department asked me to clarify if you have an R&D office in Russia.

Thanks in advance, Aleksey

Colleen Curtis 2 years ago

@Aleksey Solntsev thank you for your follow-up question. 

We do not have operations in Russia. 

- As of March 2022 we closed our office in Russia. 

- We do not have any employees in Russia or Belarus. We have a team of 3 legal and finance contractors still in the region as of March 2022 who are supporting the winding down efforts and no longer have access to our operations or systems. 

- Any remaining contractors still in the region will be with us for a limited wind down period and no longer have access to our operations or systems.

We comply with all sanctions and are halting new sales in Russia.

We are complying with all current sanctions, and will comply with all future regulations and restrictions from the international community, and will suspend licenses for any customer on the international sanctions list. 

- We suspended new license sales in Russia.

Miro’s investors are top global firms. 

- The vast majority of the company is owned by top, global institutional investors including firms like ICONIQ Growth, Accel, Atlassian, Dragoneer, GIC, Salesforce Ventures, and TCV.

- The remainder is held by our founders and employees.

- No state-owned entities or government officials have ever invested in Miro and Miro has never taken any state-sponsored funding or loans from any government entity.

- We have no affiliations with the Russian Federation, Belarus, Ukraine, or any other foreign government. 

Miro does not host data in Russia, Belarus or Ukraine.

Miro hosts and operates only within the EU and U.S. on the AWS (Amazon Web Services) platform. No services are run from outside of the EU or U.S. based data centers.

More info here: https://miro.com/trust/compliance/notice/

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Aleksey Solntsev -

This would be a question for Miro support and you might want to provide some context regarding the question: Submit a request – Miro Support & Help Center

Kiron

Sure, I’ve asked already for 3 times. But nobody provided me an answer. 

So I decided to ask community. 

@Kiron Bondale do you have an answer?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Marina - 

As @Aleksey Solntsev  has contacted support already for this, is there anything you can do to get him an answer?

Thanks!

Kiron

Userlevel 7
Badge

Hello @Aleksey Solntsev (and @Kiron Bondale), 

Thanks for your patience. Here is the answer to your question. 

From Miro: While all of our product and engineering leadership, and the majority of our operating teams are based in our hubs in Amsterdam and Berlin, we do have a small team in Russia. More importantly, Miro USA is the owner, producer and provider of our product. We host and operate within the EU and US via Amazon Web Services (AWS) platform. We do not operate data centers in Russia, Ukraine or Belarus.

Unfortunately, you didn’t answer my question ((( 

My question is “Is your R&D team located in Russia”.

And based on public information https://www.linkedin.com/company/mirohq/people/?facetGeoRegion=ru%3A0 186 people are from Russia. 

Could you please confirm that there are Software Engineers that have access to production environment and located in Russia?

@Colleen Curtis could you guys enable highres backup for free users for a few days so I can make a backup while all of this pans out? 

Tried lowres backup but doesn't get me readable files. 

TY and keep up the good work,

Job from Ams

Userlevel 7
Badge

@Aleksey Solntsev thank you for your follow-up question. 

We do not have operations in Russia. 

- As of March 2022 we closed our office in Russia. 

- We do not have any employees in Russia or Belarus. We have a team of 3 legal and finance contractors still in the region as of March 2022 who are supporting the winding down efforts and no longer have access to our operations or systems. 

- Any remaining contractors still in the region will be with us for a limited wind down period and no longer have access to our operations or systems.

We comply with all sanctions and are halting new sales in Russia.

We are complying with all current sanctions, and will comply with all future regulations and restrictions from the international community, and will suspend licenses for any customer on the international sanctions list. 

- We suspended new license sales in Russia.

Miro’s investors are top global firms. 

- The vast majority of the company is owned by top, global institutional investors including firms like ICONIQ Growth, Accel, Atlassian, Dragoneer, GIC, Salesforce Ventures, and TCV.

- The remainder is held by our founders and employees.

- No state-owned entities or government officials have ever invested in Miro and Miro has never taken any state-sponsored funding or loans from any government entity.

- We have no affiliations with the Russian Federation, Belarus, Ukraine, or any other foreign government. 

Miro does not host data in Russia, Belarus or Ukraine.

Miro hosts and operates only within the EU and U.S. on the AWS (Amazon Web Services) platform. No services are run from outside of the EU or U.S. based data centers.

More info here: https://miro.com/trust/compliance/notice/

Userlevel 7
Badge

@Colleen Curtis could you guys enable highres backup for free users for a few days so I can make a backup while all of this pans out? 

Tried lowres backup but doesn't get me readable files. 

TY and keep up the good work,

Job from Ams

​​​@Job Veltman - thanks for your note, I will post a reply below. 

While we are closely monitoring the situation in Ukraine, it will not have an impact on our ability to serve our customers and users. 

Miro is a US-based corporation, registered in Delaware, with co-headquarters in San Francisco and Amsterdam. There are more than 1300 Mironeers working in 11 hubs globally including Tokyo, London and Sydney, among others.

Miro USA is the owner, producer and provider of our product. We host and operate within the EU and US via Amazon Web Services (AWS) platform. We do not operate data centers in Russia or Ukraine.

I hope this helps.

Unfortunately, you didn’t answer my question ((( 

My question is “Is your R&D team located in Russia”.

And based on public information https://www.linkedin.com/company/mirohq/people/?facetGeoRegion=ru%3A0 186 people are from Russia. 

Could you please confirm that there are Software Engineers that have access to production environment and located in Russia?

Suddenly it‘s only 72 employees. Yesterday it was also somewhere around 180 for me. 

miro, have you moved your employees to your hubs or told them to remove/change the location to avoid this info being public? Please be as transparent as possible here. Thank you. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Aleksey Solntsev & @Markito  & @Job Veltman 

The founder of Miro is ANDREY KHUSID, CEO at Miro 

He is one of the for me most inspiring people because he has founded miro former realtimeboard:

https://miro.com/blog/features/realtimeboard-is-now-miro/?utm_source%3Dgoogle%26utm_medium%3Dcpc%26utm_campaign%3D%26utm_adgroup=%26utm_custom%3D16426095804%26utm_content%3D585099772766%26utm_term%3D%26matchtype=%26device=c%26location=9043884&gclid=Cj0KCQiA64GRBhCZARIsAHOLriJgyT_OKqJSddOD1rM3PVKbnlFoXOvRWoihwGa2Ues2PnbV5EMeM30aAuxoEALw_wcB

You can see him in an interview here:

I couldn’t believe as I read in the subtitles that at this time 2015 miro only had about 100.000 users 

This Interview from 2012 was shot in Russia:

So Miro started as a Russian company and developed to an international mega grown company.

I wish someone is able to create a bio-pic of Andrey Khusid and the background and all the obstacles came in their way to this big company - I really love to see inspiring people and I think he has something like Steve Jobs had or Bill Gates has … starting with a vision … keeping his goal in his mind … and making his way ...

And of course:

If you start your business with your collegues and friends in your contry and it grows like miro has grown, you give them the ability to come with you when you move to an other town / country.

So it looks like miro has done this:

Moved their headquater from Russia to US … so there is nothing wrong in this.

Michael