Need clarity on licenses and how teams are structured

We have three departments that use Miro, thus creating 3 teams. 2 are paid and 1 is free. I made a pitch to our business to upgrade to Business. They did! (Yay!) My assumption was that those existing teams would be able to upgrade at no cost. That doesn’t seem to be the case even though I am now a licensed use and everyone on my team will be as well. However, what I’m finding is that I will need to create projects under the one Company team that is upgraded to Business. 
Is this correct?
Furthermore, does this mean that if everyone in the company (regardless of departments) is under one Team, we can’t break those out into smaller sections or well, teams? Especially if they want to keep their work private. 

If the later is the case, what is the standard work on how to keep each departments’ work separate? 

Thank you!

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Andrea N Rodriguez -

Unfortunately, without a Consultant or Enterprise license, you don’t have the ability to create multiple separate teams all billed to the same Miro account.

With the Business plan or the “normal” Team plan, projects are pretty much the only method of segregating boards.

Kiron

Hi @Kiron Bondale 
I appreciate the response and confirmation. I’ve gone ahead and started creating projects and adjusting their privacy.

Best,

Andrea

Hi there @Andrea N Rodriguez  I have the same issue.
I have a team plan. So since each member of the company need to have access to some projects and each member may belong to more than 1 team, I thought to configure just 1 big team, and then  several projects that can be product projects (where we need different members of different teams to collaborate) or could be Team projects (private projects a team could be working on)
How did you change the visibility/privacy to the project created previously? (like removing visibility to members that belong to the same team)
I tried to invite specific members to a specific new project, but it doesn’t seem to work as I would expect.

Best,
Cátia

Hi @Catia Ramos Batista,

It sounds like you’re managing the whole team and projects for that team. I am an admin on the Miro team, but I am managing my own teams’s work while the heads of other departments are managing theirs. I think the key here is creating the projects first, adding the team members you want to see that project, moving the board to that new project, then adjusting the “share” settings of that board once within the project.

These are the instructions I gave my team that I figured out for myself:

How to keep your boards “private”

If you want to keep your boards private, that is under the “Share” settings.- (I use this setting when I am working on a project and sketching out ideas I don’t want anyone to see yet. They don’t need a glimpse into my crazy brain just yet!)

1. Click on the three buttons again and select “Share”.

2. You’ll want to choose “No access”.

3. This will allow only you to see it (but none of your team members.)

Share it with your team

(I use these instructions when I want just my team to have access to OUR boards)

In order to share boards with specific people, you’ll need to add a Project first, then you’ll add members. Once you’re done but before you click “Done”, make sure you don’t toggle “anyone in your team can see this board….”

I do believe the name of the projects will be public, so I’ve started the nomenclature “(CI)” for our team “Continuous Improvement”.

Let me know if you need additional help :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Catia Ramos Batista - In addition to @Andrea N Rodriguez’s comments, here is a post with some more information on using Projects and “mini Teams”:

https://community.miro.com/ask-the-community-45/how-does-teams-and-accounts-works-4785?postid=20044#post20044