Answered

Moving Boards from account back to personal

• 10 February 2021
  • 6 replies

HI I upgraded my 3 boards from a free account to a paid team account - and all my boards moved over to this paid account. I want to cancel my subscription as it isnt going toprovide what I need.

What happens to these boards that were imported from my free account to the paid one?

I need them to revert back to the free acount intact - will they?

icon

Best answer by Robert Johnson 10 February 2021, 19:36

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hi @IZBI 

Welcome to the Miro Online Community!

Please read and follow this documentation & guide

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011986179-How-to-Cancel-Your-Subscription

I hope this resource will help you to solve your issue!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@IZBI - Here’s some--okay, much--more information on the topic.

When I discovered Miro back in early 2018--back when I was a RealTime toddler (thanks, @Matthias)--I recall creating a Professional (now Consultant Plan), my Free Plan team remained and a new Team showed up in my dashboard. And when I let my paid plan expire, those boards remained in that team and I could no longer access them - they were still there, however, then I clicked on the team, I was prompted to re-activate my subscription in order to view the boards. Skip ahead a few years and of course things have changed.

@IZBI - What is not clear in the What Happens When a Subscription Expires Help Center article is what will happen in your specific scenario, e.g. if your Free Plan team was upgraded to a Team Plan team, once you let your subscription expire, will:

1. your Team Plan team be converted to a Team Plan team, leaving only the three last edited boards in edit mode; or
  2. will you be prompted to create a new Free Plan team?

Some options (chose one or more):

1. Rely on your interpretation of the Help Center documentation and see what happens.
  2. For a definitive answer as to what will happen when your paid plan expired, please reach out to the Miro Customer Support team directly by creating a ticket via this special form. It would also be helpful for the rest of the community if you were to come back here and share what the Support team told you.

3. As a failsafe, create another Free Plan team and move or duplicate boards to that new Free Plan team.

Creating a new Free Plan team

If you want to take matters into your own hands and ensure that you will still be able to edit your three boards, and you want to continue to use Miro with your existing Miro account profile, i.e., the email address you sign into Miro with, there is a way to create another Free Plan team and move the boards into this team before you cancel your subscription.

First, for everyone reading this, I will explain the different between account profiles and teams/plans. A Miro account profile is unique by email address. Once an account profile is created, one or more teams (Free, Team, Business, Education, etc.) can be associated with that Miro account, so that when you sign in to your Miro account, you could see many teams listed on the on the left-hand side of your Miro dashboard - e.g.:

What you would have just done was created a new Free Plan team and ported that Free Plan team over from one Miro account profile to another Miro account profile. In theory, you could repeat this process over-and-over to end up with multiple Free Plan teams attached to one Miro account profile.

Adding a new Free Plan team to an existing Miro account profile

NOTE: The steps below may or may not work for all account profiles and may stop working at anytime. Read these steps carefully to make sure that you understand them before proceeding to follow them.

What you could do is create a new Free Plan under a new Miro account profile and then port that Free Plan over to your existing Miro account profile by adding your existing account profile as a team member on the new team, and then removing the account profile used to create that new team as a member of that team. In theory, you could repeat this process over-and-over to end up with multiple Free Plan teams attached to one Miro account profile.

The steps to do this would be as follows:

1. Create a brand new Miro account with any other email address - we’ll call this: email-address-b.
  2. Add your existing Miro account profile as a team member on this new team - we’ll call this: email-address-a.
  3. Grant email-address-a the role of Team Admin.
  4. while logged in as email-address-a, move your three boards from your paid Team Plan team to the newly created Free Plan team.
  5. OPTIONAL: Remove/delete email-address-b (the most recently created account) as a team member. (Do this if you don’t think you’ll ever login to the other Miro account again.)

Now you should see two teams in the left-hand side vertical pane in your Miro dashboard:

1. Your current Team Plan team.
  2. the Free Plan team that was created using email-address-b.

Once your paid subscription expires, you will still have the Free Plan team with your three  boards in it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@IZBI - By the way, if you do still have your Free Plan team showing up on your dashboard and are just looking for a way to move boards between teams, while you are in your dashboard, use the board’s ellipsis menu and select: Move to account*:

*the use of the word “account” here is confusing.

Hi Thanks for all the information - one issue is I dont have that option - there is no ‘move to account’ in my menu - do you know why or where I can set this up?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@IZBI - You will not have the “Move to account” option if you only have one team/account or if you are not the owner of that board. In your current situation, this is likely due to you only having the one team.

I confirmed with someone at Miro that after your cancel your subscription ends, you will be able to choose a new plan - one of the options will be to Downgrade to the Free Plan. At that time, the last three active boards will be editable. You can find more information on this in the How to Change Your Plan Help Center article. 

One tip I have for you now if you have more than three boards in your Team Plan and wish to continue to edit all of them in your Free Plan, you could combine all of the boards into three by copy-and-pasting.

Thanks for all your help - I have copied and pasted the content of the baords back to board in my free personal account and this seems to be the only way to do it. But it hasnt been locked down for copy so thats briiliant.