Answered

Miro automatically changes zoom size when linking to another board

• 3 December 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2

Hello everyone, today’s certainly my day for questions.

I have a main menu on my board, that navigates to different parts of the board.  When I view this menu, I set my zoom to 100%.

When I then click a link to go to another part of the board, it automatically zooms to 250%.  When I then click on a link to take me back to the main menu, it zooms to 349%.

Why does this happen, and how can I stop if from happening?

Many thanks
Bennie
Cape Town

icon

Best answer by Kiron Bondale 3 December 2020, 14:42

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Bennie Naude -

This is the default behavior of linking to an object. Miro will try to maximize the size of the linked to object.

See the thread here for a similar past discussion: https://community.miro.com/got-a-question-ask-the-community-45/is-there-a-way-to-stop-links-opening-at-400-1324

Kiron

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Kiron Bondale - Thanks for the link to that post! After reading it, and playing around a bit, I also have a better understanding of the zoom level works.

@Bennie Naude - If you were to enlarge the objects you are linking too, Miro would stay at a 100% zoom. In this example, I kept change the size of the frame I was linking to until it would trigger Miro to display it at 100% when I linked to it, e.g.:

And, if you were not at 100% zoom already, Miro would zoom to 100%:

However, even if you were to go through the process of resizing all of your linked-to objects so that Miro would change the board display to 100%, as the post Kiron shared, this is all still based on “fit to screen”, so as soon as I even change the size of my browser window, it will no longer display at 100%:

Userlevel 2

@Kiron Bondale and @Robert Johnson many thanks for your quick and comprehensive responses - understood.

Best.

Had this problem too. Clicking a link to an object in a different part of the board resulted in zoom levels I didn’t want. Then I was spending time re zooming. Inelegant.

My Fix?

Use Kirons answer above, and set up a frame for each area I was linking to, knowing that the link to operation to that frame will fill the screen. I used the same frame size for each ‘page’ on the board. Then the link is set to the frame itself, not to any of the items inside the frame. Voila - it gives the appearance of very smooth movement back and forth.

I also add links to the prior frame and to the next frame at the top for easy navigation in the board.

This worked for me