Skip to main content

This is my first time using my Miro on my iPad, and at first, it seems to work fine, but after a few minutes of writing ideas out on the board using my Apple Pencil, the board starts to freeze for a few seconds. I don’t think it’s just the board even, I can’t seem to interact with the entire app at all.

After a few seconds, it comes back and starts running fine, but soon enough it starts happening again. If I use the Miro app for a lengthy amount of time after this (15-30 minutes), it starts to get so bad that every other stroke seems to hang (maybe time didn’t have to do anything with it, maybe it was because I added another app to multitask so half my ipad screen was miro, and half was a system monitoring tool for my iPad).

Anyway, I tried playing around with the Miro website instead of the Miro app, but I noticed that it also froze occasionally, though it was nowhere nearly as bad as the app.

I did manage to note down some metrics though! 5 seconds after it hung for both the app, and the miro website on my iPad, I noted down some system health metrics which I’ll post below.

Looking at the metrics, it seems that there are some network usage spikes which I believe are coming from the Miro app: I don’t think this should be causing app freezes, but worth pointing out...

It’s also worth noting that after all this, I tried to use Sidecar to make my iPad as my laptop’s second monitor, and tried to use the Miro app that way, and drew using my Apple Pencil. There was absolutely no freezes that were of the nature with the iPad app / iPad Miro website. It was running more or less fairly smoothly.

Device Details

Model name iPad Pro (11-inch)
Model code iPad8,1
O.S. iPadOS 18.0.1 (22A3370)
Temperature Normal
Jailbreak No
Multitasking Yes

Detailed Metrics 5 Seconds after Miro App Froze

RAM

Total 3.7 GB
Active 954.8 MB
Inactive 932.5 MB
Wired 693.6 MB
Compressed 1.14 GB
Free 30.3 MB
Purgeable 15.3 MB
Pressure 49%
STORAGE
Total storage 255.95 GB
Used storage 43.04 GB
Free storage 212.91 GB
Releasable space 2.6 GB

CPU
User 29.18 %
System 0.00 %
Inactive 70.82 %
Used CPU 29.18 %
Processor A12X Bionic
Is processor 64 bit? Yes
Architecture ARM64E
Active cores 8
Efficiency cores 4
Performance cores 4
Total core 8
L1 data cache 32 KB
L1 instruction cache 48 KB
L2 cache 2 MB
NETWORK
Wi-Fi data sent 23.2 MB
Wi-Fi data received 365 MB
Mobile data sent 0 KB
Mobile data received 0 KB

Details Metrics 5 Seconds After Miro Website / Web App Froze

RAM
Total 3.7 GB
Active 942.7 MB
Inactive 898.6 MB
Wired 683.8 MB
Compressed 1.19 GB
Free 31.6 MB
Purgeable 32 MB
Pressure 50%
STORAGE
Total storage 255.95 GB
Used storage 43.03 GB
Free storage 212.92 GB
Releasable space 2.6 GB
CPU
User 48.28 %
System 0.00 %
Inactive 51.72 %
Used CPU 48.28 %
Processor A12X Bionic
Is processor 64 bit? Yes
Architecture ARM64E
Active cores 8
Efficiency cores 4
Performance cores 4
Total core 8
L1 data cache 32 KB
L1 instruction cache 48 KB
L2 cache 2 MB
NETWORK
Wi-Fi data sent 25.9 MB
Wi-Fi data received 366.5 MB
Mobile data sent 0 KB
Mobile data received 0 KB

Hi @Ahmed Siddiqui,

Thank you for reaching out and providing such detailed information! I’m sorry to hear about the issues you’re experiencing with Miro on your iPad Pro.

Here are a few suggestions that might help improve performance:

1. Since multitasking might be contributing to the freezes, try closing any other apps running in the background to free up system resources for Miro.

2. You mentioned that using Miro in the browser seems to perform better. For longer sessions, you may want to stick to the web version on your iPad for a smoother experience until this issue gets resolved.

3. If you’ve been using Miro for a while, clearing the app’s cache might help. You can do this by uninstalling and reinstalling the app, which can clear any potential glitches.

4. Since you noticed network spikes, ensure your Wi-Fi connection is stable. You might want to test Miro on another network to rule out any connectivity issues.

5. Ensure both your iPadOS and Miro app are updated to the latest versions, as updates often fix bugs and improve performance.

If the problem persists, we recommend reaching out to Miro Support directly with the detailed metrics you’ve provided, as they may offer deeper troubleshooting or patch any bugs that might be affecting the app.

Hope this helps! Thank you for your patience!

Since multitasking might be contributing to the freezes, try closing any other apps running in the background to free up system resources for Miro.

I have tried to run the Miro app on its own without any background apps, but I still noticed instances where the app froze.

If you’ve been using Miro for a while, clearing the app’s cache might help. You can do this by uninstalling and reinstalling the app, which can clear any potential glitches.

I already tried uninstalling & reinstalling the app

Since you noticed network spikes, ensure your Wi-Fi connection is stable. You might want to test Miro on another network to rule out any connectivity issues.

My WiFi connection is definitely stable, but the network spikes that were popping happened everytime I drew something on the Miro app. I think these network spikes are to be expected since it’s uploading each stroke to Miro, but it is of note that the internet usage seems higher when drawing on the Miro app compared to the Miro website 🤷

Ensure both your iPadOS and Miro app are updated to the latest versions, as updates often fix bugs and improve performance.

They are both up to date.

--------

I mostly just created this post for the benefit of the app developers of Miro. I think there is a problem in the Miro app itself…

That said, the more I played around with, the Miro app wasn’t freezing as much, so maybe it’s just a small issue, but I think it could be something that’s worth for the app developers to look into…

If the problem persists, we recommend reaching out to Miro Support directly with the detailed metrics you’ve provided, as they may offer deeper troubleshooting or patch any bugs that might be affecting the app.

Thank you for the reference. I created a ticket for this. Like I said, it’s not too big of an issue for me, I can probably workaround it. I just wanted to let the app developers know about it...

Hi @Ahmed Siddiqui 

Thanks so much for your detailed follow-up and for letting us know that you’ve created a support ticket. I appreciate your effort in sharing this with the developers for their awareness.

Since you’ve already taken a lot of the troubleshooting steps, the team will surely look into your ticket for the potential cause of the network spikes and optimize it further in future updates.

If you encounter any more issues or notice any changes, feel free to update the thread. Thanks again for bringing this to our attention!

I am having a similar issue - I have previously used miro on my ipad with no issues, even with very large boards. It’s been a while so I’m not sure if its to do with the latest update, but now I can’t even open up the dashboard on the app to select a board. It tells me that the board is too large. Navigating to the web version without getting the app to automatically open is also annoying, and when I manage to do so, the web version keeps crashing. I am on an ipad pro as well.