Mind map moving a node link on iOS

• 16 August 2020
  • 7 replies

Hi this is a pre sales question as I’m loving mind map but there is one issue that is blocking me us using it for our company, how is it possible to move a node in mind map on iOS (or any tablet)?  All of the online resources completely skip the fact there is no keyboard to hold down the control key when using an iPad etc, so the documented method of being able to move items around in a mind map appears to be impossible on a tablet?  This seems really odd as it would be simple to add a touchscreen button or option to enable the same functionailty as if a keyboard CTRL key was held as you drag, but after a great deal of time searching and trying to find a way it appears to be impossible?  Is this the case?  If so it breaks a crucial feature of mind map and means we can’t adopt it

Robert Johnson 3 years ago

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Ads You are correct, it does not appear to be possible to emulate Ctrl + click-and-drag from a touchscreen device. Surely it would be possible for Miro to come up with a solution to accomplish this, so I would just that you create a Wish List post to request this functionality. Who knows - it may already be in the works and had just not been deemed a MMF (Minimum Marketable Feature).

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Ads I should confirm terminologies. The main/center of the Mind Map is the Root node. Each node directly connected to the Root nodes are called Parent nodes. And ALL nodes coming off of Parents, no matter now many, are referred to Child nodes:

With that being said, yes, as we have learned, we cannot detach and reattach Child nodes. However, as you may have already discovered, you can move Parent nodes on touchscreen devices. This may have been obvious to you, but I still wanted to clarify. For me, on my Android device, I have to tap a Parent node once to select it and then tap-and-hold to be able to move it:

Hi Rob thanks, yes indeed it is the moving of child nodes and changing their join line to a different child or parent node that appears to be impossible, just because there is no CTRL key to be pressed and held.  Its odd as it seems such a simple thing to make work, but I’ve seen other posts asking and no answer be given.  Miro can you resolve this??

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

If you post this request in the Wish List category, you'll have my vote! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Voted! https://community.miro.com/wish-list-32/mind-map-moving-a-node-link-on-tablet-1685

Userlevel 4

Hi @Ads and @Rob Johnson,

Thank you very much for the feedback! Yes, it’s not great user experience and we are fixing it. In this Q you’ll be able to reassign Mind Map nodes both on mobile and tablet apps.

Feel free to ask questions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Thanks for the update, @Tolya Filippov! If you want some feedback on the updated experience and can push out by Miro account or want to provide a link to a board where I can try it out, do DM me.