Lost boards and account

• 7 March 2024
  • 7 replies

I use Miro for my University group projects and subjects a lot, however in the past couple of days there shows no boards in my profile, and I cannot access the boards that I have created. When I logged into Miro on my iPhone, it shows 'no accounts available'. I was able to reset my password for that account but still no boards. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to recover my account and boards?

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @PipSparrius. While I am just a volunteer moderator and have no insights into your account profile, I have a few questions:

• Did you previously apply for and have an Education Plan?
  • How may team spaces are you a member of? For example:

Have you tried looking in any other team spaces you are a member of?

• If you have any board that you used to access in your browser history, you could try loading the board (open your browser history and search for the board name or just miro.com).

Those questions aside, I will say that what you are describing is a common scenario: Someone is invited to another user’s team, they start creating boards there, and one day an Admin of that team removes the user and poof – you lose access to your boards.

Here is an article that I put together with more information about this scenario and a few things you could try to get your boards back.

Article: How to find (and hopefully recover) a "lost" or "missing" board

Let us know how you make out.

Hi Robert, 

Thank you for your reply. I created my account using my university email. I believe my University had an Educational License that I was using for my account. There were boards I was invited to, as well as group boards I had set up and shared with peers to collaborate on. Now, my dashboard is showing no boards at all and declining me access to boards I had created just for myself when I try to access from my browser history. It appears that Miro is no longer showing my account is valid.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hmm. I have more questions, but dinner time here. I will be back in a few hours once our toddler is in bed 👶

Thank you Robert. For reference, this is what my dashboard looks like from my browser and iPhone. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@PipSparrius - Thanks for the screenshots – they confirm that your account profile is no longer linked to any team. With this in mind, and assuming your university didn’t have a Miro Enterprise subscription, let’s assume the following has happened:

1. You were invited to collaborate on a Miro board by someone with an Educational Plan team.
  2. You didn’t have a Miro account profile yet using the email address they invited, so when you clicked on the link and landed on Miro’s website, you had to create an account. When you did this, you were now a Member of someone else’s team and now had one team space listed in your dashboard, e.g.:
  3. Now, in the past couple of days, the Team Admin of the Education Plan team you were a member of has deleted your from the team. I say “the” Team Admin as their can only be one Team Admin in an Education Plan.
  4. When this Team Admin/person deleted you from the team, then would have been prompted with the following two choices:

Regardless of which choice they made, they would now be the owner of your boards. And if they chose the delete option (#2) – or chose option #1, but subsequently deleted the boards, they will be in the Trash for 90 days (unless they went in to the Trash and used the Delete forever action – seems rather unlikely as most people wouldn’t go that far, right?).

5. Once you were removed from that team, Miro would see that your account profile was not attached to any teams and should prompt you to create a new team. However, as they message shows in your iPhone screenshot:

… if you first logged in from your phone, perhaps this has caused a glitch in the backed which will require intervention from the support team. If you and I cannot figure this out, then I will get you in touch with support.

So, all of that said, from a desktop browser, can you try:

1. Sign out of Miro
  2. Clear your browser cache
  3. Close and re-open your browser
  4. sign in to your Miro account

Hopefully you will be prompted to create a new free (or paid, if you want) team space.

If that doesn’t work, please try from the Miro desktop app.

And if that still doesn’t work, I will get you in touch with the support team.

Hello Robert, It appears that now I have been added to another teacher’s board, but still cannot access boards I created. My peer who has access to the collaborative board re-sent me the link, however it’s asking for access from the owner and I get no emails requesting access. More ‘recent’ boards are appearing, but none I have created. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@PipSparrius - Now that you are on at least one team space, you should be able to leave ALL spaces you are on, and then create your own free plan space. Once you have done that, you could ask your team mates to add you back to the one space you are on now.

As for the boards that you cannot access due to being removed from the team, since your peer has access to the board, but you cannot access it, this tells me that public/visitor access is not enabled and that they are still team members of the space where the board resides. And, because they are team members, they will be able to see who the board owner is, and they can see the board owners email address from the Team profile → Users page and send you their email address so you can reach out to them directly.

Since you are a student and have an educational institution email address, I would suggest that you apply for the Miro Education Plan. You can read more about this on the following page, and find the application form by searching the page for “application form”:

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017730473-Education-Plan

And congrats – you have now completed your Miro Administration 101 crash course! 🎇