Answered

live duplication of text boxes / shapes?

• 17 March 2021
  • 2 replies

Hello, 

Is there a way to link two text boxes, shapes or table fields (or suchlike), so that when you enter or edit text in one place, the same text or edits are automatically replicated in the second place?

(Feel free to skip the rest and jump in directly with an answer, but if you want the long and boring reason for my question, here goes...)

I have a board that is basically a mind map for a collaborative project proposal, for a big project with a lot of interconnected elements (e.g. different activities & objectives, each with associated risks & assumptions etc.). 

The mind map is perfect for the team of prospective project collaborators to work on and see how the whole thing will hang together. However, when we submit this to the funder, they will want a cover letter with a series of annexes that follow strict, predefined templates (logframes, risk tables and suchlike). Each of these annexes will have to combine a different set of elements from the mind map. Some elements have to be included in multiple annexes - so once you’ve started putting the annexes together, if you make an edit in one place, you then have to repeat that same edit in several other annexes, and you have to remember which ones - it’s a total pain. 

I have put the annex templates (mostly tables) on the Miro board alongside the project mind map so that at least we can see everything in one place. It would be great if I could link fields in these annex templates directly to the text elements in the mind map, so that as we edit the mind map, it automatically and simultaneously “fills in” the annexes. Hence my question.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and hope you have an answer - but either way, I hope you’re having a marvellous day.

Louise

icon

Best answer by Robert Johnson 17 March 2021, 19:28

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Louise Lieberknecht - I am having a marvellous day, thanks!

What you are describing (dynamic/symbolic linking of objects) is not currently possible using out-of-the-box Miro functionality.

However, it may be possible to use Miro’s SDK (or REST API if the objects are not on the same board) to accomplish what you are looking for. You would probably want someone with a development background to review the Miro Developer Platform documentation.

Feature request via Wish List Idea

Someone has requested very similar functionality in the following Wish List Idea - you may want to add your comments/vote here:

https://community.miro.com/wish-list-32/copy-objects-by-reference-instance-1008

However, if you fee that idea doesn’t truly reflect what you are looking to accomplish, I’d recommend adding this as an Idea in the Wish List category by following the guidelines here: Wish List: Everything You Need to Know.

If you do create a Wish List Idea post, I would also recommend that you post a link to it back here, so that future readers of this post can quickly get to and vote for your Idea.

Lastly, don't forget to vote for your own Idea.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Louise Lieberknecht - I’m not sure how you are presenting the information to your client, but in case you didn’t know, you can export the mind map to CVS, at which point you could

• use it in a spreadsheet (unfortunately you will lose the mind map structure/hierarchy)
  • copy the spreadsheet cells back to the board as sticky notes or text:

Or you could use @Yash‘s Cardsy web-plugin to duplicate the mind map nodes into Cards, and then use Miro’s standard switch type to change the cards to any shape you’d like: