Last Login vs Last Activity

• 11 November 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

Exporting a user list provides two columns of data: Last Login and Last Activity. These often show different dates (or are blank). Can someone explain the difference and why the following happens?

1. Last login date more recent than last activity date - makes sense if a user logged in but did not access any boards
  2. Last login date older than last activity date - how is that possible?
  3. Last activity date is blank - what does this mean?
  4. Both dates blank - again, what does this mean?

We need to cull inactive and less active user accounts and I would like to understand which column is best to use for that purpose and how to deal with blanks.

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi Matt!

Thanks for this very good question - I have to admit I have a little bit of research to do before I can give you a reliable answer and will update you as soon as I know more!

We have not forgotten about you! :)

Happy whiteboarding and until the next update!

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi Matt!

So, I got a little advice here and it looks like this:

1. Your explanation is correct.
  2. The last activity event shows more accurate user behaviour. Last login date is the date of accessing the app in general, Last activity - accessing the boards. If you just looked at your dashboard and left til the next day - the dates would differ and that’s okay
  3. and 4. If the value is blank it means that the user never opened any boards and is not using the app.

If you would like to delete users, it is probably best to search by using Inactive in the filter as shown below:

I hope this helps! Let us know if anything else is unclear, we’re always here to help!:smiley:

Happy whiteboarding!:crayon:

Userlevel 1

Wonderful explanation and thank you.

Yes, the Inactive Filter helps but we are looking at sorting thousands of users and not just by last 30/60/90 days.