Answered

Issue with copying data from excel to MIRO

• 26 May 2021
  • 6 replies

I love the feature to paste cells from excel/google sheets and have each cell appear as a separate post-it. It’s amazing for problem solving sessions.

Now, I used an external tool for idea generation (we got over 150 ideas). After that I wanted to put them in MIRO for discussion, grouping, filtering and sorting (convergent thinking part of the finding ideas for a problem). And here’s the issue - when I copy ideas from the google sheets file to MIRO:

• I’m getting an error message: “Sorry, you cannot paste more than 5000 cells or 6000 characters.”
  • As expected not all ideas end up being pasted to MIRO

My data didn’t exceed the 5000 cells limit, but did exceed the 6000 characters limit, but I ran a couple of tests with simplified data sets:

1. SET 1
    1. Data
      1. 200 cells - one BELOW the other (separate rows)
      2. each cell contains a word with a length from 4 to 7 characters
      3. according to excel formulas, as well as to https://easywordcount.com/ there are 200 words, 1070 characters (without spaces) and 1269 total characters (I assume the 199 additional ones are the invisible characters at the end of each cell that excel/google sheet adds
    2. Result of COPY+PAST to MIRO
      1. only 50 post-its appear!
      2. and I get the error message: “Sorry, you cannot paste more than 5000 cells or 6000 characters.”
  2. SET 2
    1. Data
      1. 200 cells - one NEXT to the other (separate columns)
      2. same contents as in SET1
      3. same numbers of characters and words as in SET1
    2. Result of COPY+PAST to MIRO
      1. only 100 post-its appear! (suddenly 2 times more, but still not all)
      2. and I get the same error message

Any advice/recommendations?

If nothing is available, expected result/feature:

1. AT LEAST have the 5000 cells/6000 characters limit actually work
  2. PREFERABLY increase the limits, to as much as 15-20k characters (in our session we had nearly 13k without white spaces).

icon

Best answer by Robert Johnson 26 May 2021, 16:26

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Mateusz Hajnysz - I went though this myself about three weeks ago with Miro support.

In SET 1, you are past the 50 row limit.

And in SET 2, you are past the 100 column limit.

The Sticky Notes → Pasting from a Spreadsheet Help Center mentions this briefly:

Here is the slightly more detailed response that I received from Miro support:

Our team has confirmed that the maximum number of cells that can be pasted to Miro boards is 5000; however, the maximum number of rows and columns that can be copy/pasted is 50 and 100 relatively. 

So, in order to be able to paste the maximum possible number of cells (5000), they should be copied from 50 rows and 100 columns, and if you try to copy, for example, 100 rows and 50 columns, only cells from 50 rows and 50 columns will be pasted. Hope this makes sense! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Mateusz Hajnysz - And because I was curious, I tested this out by filling cells A1 through CV50 in Excel (attached to this reply) with the letter “a” and pasted it into a board with no warnings:

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Mateusz Hajnysz - By the way, kudos on the detailed testing scenarios/notes!

Hey @Robert Johnson! Thanks so much for your answer. I did a test of my own with the same short words put into cells in 50 rows and 100 columns and in fact it works without an error.

Have you spoken with someone from MIRO and checked if they could do anything about the second limit - number of characters? The 5000 cells (at least for my needs) is much more than enough, but the characters would be useful…

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Mateusz Hajnysz 

Have you spoken with someone from MIRO and checked if they could do anything about the second limit - number of characters?

I have not, and unfortunately I don’t have a direct channel to the support team - my issue three weeks ago was dealt with via a standard support request.

I’d recommend adding this as an Idea in the Wish List category by following the guidelines here: Wish List: Everything You Need to Know.

If you do create a Wish List Idea post, I would also recommend that you post a link to it back here, so that future readers of this post can quickly get to and vote for your Idea.

Lastly, don't forget to vote for your own Idea.

FYI, for anyone else frustrated with this - I think these wishlist items are the best one to add your votes to:
https://community.miro.com/wish-list-32/increase-row-limit-for-grids-3304

https://community.miro.com/wish-list-32/increase-column-limit-for-grids-2373

Ideally maybe they could be merged as they’re basically the same issue in terms of cell limit, then it would streamline the conversation and aggregate the votes.