Skip to main content

For many years our company has restricted the install of software on windows, this used to be no problem with Miro as the desktop app was available as a stand alone package that required no installation. I was recently updated/refreshed and have been trying to download the Miro app again but this option seems to have disappeared. The only choice now is a windows installer (Miro-Setup.exe) which will not work for me. 

I much prefer the desktop app to using the browser, it has always been more responsive and less memory intensive. I do have the option of installing from the windows store but this version of the app always seems to be a bit behind and problematic. Currently I have problems when returning to open boards that they do not re-load, they appear as a completely blank grey screen with no option to refresh/reconnect. The only option is to close and re-open the board. I never had these sorts of problems with the standalone app.

Is the windows installer the only option for downloading the Miro desktop app these days? 

@GarethT - While I cannot speak to the current state of the .exe, another option (depending on your orgs policies) could be the MS Store version:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/miro-online-collaborative-whiteboard-platform/9n236hqqtvnh

The MS Store version used to have some limitations (saving frames as high-quality images, video chat, etc.) but these have been resovled.

Thanks for the suggestion Robert. I am already using the MS Store version of the App and agree that it much more on par with other versions than it used to be. Although, I am having an issue with this version at the moment that open boards randomly become unresponsive and appear as completely empty tabs within the app. The board will have no context menu and no way to force it to re-connect/refresh. Other boards in the same session are fine and work as normal. The only option is to close the board an re-open. 

I had hoped the downloaded app would not have the same issue, going on past experience of the MS store version being problematic. Perhaps I should just raise a bug against the MS store app rather than longing for the old days of independent zero install versions 😅

@GarethT - I used the MS Store version most of the day on a machine that is also going through a VPN with no issues.

You could also open a Miro support ticket to inquiry about your initial zip question, but also re the MS Store app performance/context menu issues.

You can open a Miro support ticket by following these instructions:

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020185799-How-to-contact-Miro-Support#h_01F010RXA0E1S9C0WFQYX75R6C

Note: If you have the new dashboard experience, you will need to click on your name at the bottom-left of your dashboard to get to the Learning Center.