Skip to main content
Answered

Is it possible to draw on the desktop like you can with OpenBoard?

• 21 September 2020
  • 5 replies

Hi, I am really liking Miro. I use a whiteboard open source software called OpenBoard now and then. Although its not as polished as Miro, it has some great features, I would go as far as awesome for an open source project. However, I really like Miro and I am beginning to make it my main Whiteboard software. I am on the free plan at the moment and I am intetested in upgrading.

OpenBoard has this feature which allow you to annotate or draw on your desktop or any open application or even the desktop as you can see here: https://www.screencast.com/t/vTqfdrKPh

I want to know if Miro has this feature? 

As I am still learning to use Miro I thought its possible Miro has it and I just need to figure out how to do it. So, does Miro have this feature to draw or annotate on other applications or desktop?

Thank you.

Ryan

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@RyanUK - Welcome to Miro! The functionality you are describing does not current exist in either the web or desktop application. For now, you would be limited to taking a screenshot and pasting it into a board for markup.

I do like this idea though! I would suggest adding this as an Idea in the Wish List category by following the guidelines here: Wish List: Everything You Need to Know. If you do create a Wish List Idea post, I would also recommend that you post a link to it back here, so that future readers of this post can quickly get to and vote for your Idea.

Userlevel 1

Hi Robert, Thanks. I’ll do that as I am going to move to upgrade today or tomorrow so it's in my interest if Miro does a feature like at some point. It's one of the best features I have seen on a whiteboard. 

Oh, thank you for the super fast reply. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@RyanUK - I should also mention that the closest you would probably get to your ask in Miro would be when using their Chrome Miro Extension which can let you ‘take screenshots of websites in your browser and instantly save them into your Miro library. The first mode takes a screenshot of the entire visible area of the selected tab, and the second mode allows you to capture a selected rectangular area.’

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@RyanUK  - You’re welcome and please do post a link to the idea back here so I can vote for it :grin:

And FYI: You can add your vote to your own idea :wink:

Userlevel 1

@RyanUK  - You’re welcome and please do post a link to the idea back here so I can vote for it :grin:

And FYI: You can add your vote to your own idea :wink:

Here you go: https://community.miro.com/wish-list-32/ability-to-annotate-or-draw-on-your-desktop-or-any-open-application-like-openboard-app-2050

Thanks for your advice. :)