Answered

Inviting students to board but not team?

• 2 June 2021
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi, I am really sorry if this has been answered before.

I have an educational Plan.

It seems if I invite students to a board they are automatically added to my team? As you can imagine my team grows quite quickly with new classes and will reach the 100 limit very quickly.

What is the process of inviting student to single boards without them being added asa team member?

Thanks,

Rikki

icon

Best answer by Robert Johnson 2 June 2021, 02:42

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Rikki Bunder - It sounds like you are using the Copy invite link button to invite student to your board AND your team.

Have a read of this reply:

https://community.miro.com/ask-the-community-45/is-my-board-public-with-the-free-plan-4933?postid=20723#post20723

How to allow students to edit boards with you

You will want to use the Guest Editor access to do this - you can read more about this in the Collaboration with Guest Editors Help Center article.

Removing the students you have added

You may now want to remove these students.

From your dashboard:

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Rikki Bunder - You may also want to view this article about controlling the default board and project sharing options, so that you and your team members dashboards don’t get cluttered.

https://community.miro.com/ask-the-community-45/private-board-sharing-with-one-on-one-students-3935?postid=16349#post16349

Userlevel 1

Thank you. Amazing.

I have updated my settings as per your instructions.

So, if I understand this correctly, the only way to invite students to edit boards without them joining my team is via the guest editors (with password).

Does this cause them to be anonymous?

Rikki 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Rikki Bunder - You’re welcome :grin:

So, if I understand this correctly, the only way to invite students to edit boards without them joining my team is via the guest editors (with password).

Yes, however, the password is optional.

A “guest” is anyone who is not a member of the team. And an “anonymous” guest is anyone on the board who is does not have a Miro account (or is at least not signed in to their account). Therefore, if, for example, student “John Smit” has a Miro account and accessed your board using the “Anyone with the link”/Guest Editor access, then whatever name John entered into their Miro account profile page would show up beside their cursor, e.g.:

And if someone was on the board and didn’t have a Miro account, the work “Guest” will appear beside their cursor.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Rikki Bunder - Once you delete the students from your team, they should be prompted to create their own Free Plan team, if your team was the only one that their Miro account profile (by email) belonged to).

Starring Boards

Once your students are no longer a member of your team, they will no longer be able to sign in to their Miro account and just see the boards you shared with them. Instead, they will either need to refer back to the communication in which you shared the board with them, e.g., email.

Another option they have (if they have a Miro account) is to “star” the board and then go to the Starred boards page in their dashboard:

Userlevel 1

Thank you so much, legend!

Rikki

Userlevel 1

One more question?

Is it possible to only allow guest that are signed in to Miro to access a board?

I am just concerned the if the link is shared, someone comes in and deletes some content? At least if they are signed in we can see who did what.

Cheers,

Rikki

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Rikki Bunder - Unfortunately, this is not currently possible. And even if someone were signed in, they could just enter a name of “Guest Editor” as their Miro account profile name and have that show up in the board’s Activity List history and beside their cursor. 

Userlevel 1

Okay, thanks.

I have just sent off an email to sales to see the benefits of going with an enterprise plan.

I just have a few reservations regarding public links and student work. I can see it working well for short term small projects, but for long term and large student groups, several classes etc…. 

Thanks for you help, it is very appreciated.

Rikki