Invalidating a shared board URL

• 26 April 2023
  • 3 replies

I have shared a board by sharing its URL. I’d like to “revoke” this from the people who still have this old URL, but I’d still like to share it by sending the URL to other people. 

What’s not working for my use case is to set permission of “anyone with the link” because I want to be able to invite people to look at my boards; I just want to revoke the existing users who have my link. 

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Tsjok-Wing Man -

Unfortunately, once you create a board its URL is unique and can’t be changed so when you share it publicly (for use by Miro Visitors), that link is the one used regardless of how many different sets of users access it.

Two ways to address your need:

1. You can password protect boards for Visitor access so changing the password is one way to revoke access for previous Visitors.
  2. You can duplicate the board, unshare the old one, and share the new one with the new group of Visiotrs.

Kiron

@Tsjok-Wing Man -

Unfortunately, once you create a board its URL is unique and can’t be changed so when you share it publicly (for use by Miro Visitors), that link is the one used regardless of how many different sets of users access it.

Two ways to address your need:

1. You can password protect boards for Visitor access so changing the password is one way to revoke access for previous Visitors.
  2. You can duplicate the board, unshare the old one, and share the new one with the new group of Visiotrs.

Kiron

Thank you for your reply. I’ve found workaround 2 and it’s workable for now. I’ll know for the future to be more conscious of sharing URLs because there’s no good way to invalidate them. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Tsjok-Wing Man - If you have a Business or Enterprise Plan subscription, another option would be to use the Guests feature.

This allows you to grant board access to non-team members at the user level, meaning that you can share a board directly with any registered Miro account user (even Free Plan users). So, for example, you share the board with Jim, Ted, and Fred, but later need to revoke Jim’s access, then you just remove Jim from the board and Ted and Fred continue using the board (with the same link) as if nothing ever happened.