Answered

Inconsistent naming on copied or duplicated frames

• 15 August 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3

I’m trying to work out why sometimes when I duplicate or copy a frame it says ‘copy of...’ and other times if I create a frame that says ‘Group 1’ the duplicate will say ‘Group 6’ . (It rarely follows the logic of saying ‘group 2’ etc.) Is this something I should add to the wish list or is it something I am doing wrong?

icon

Best answer by Robert Johnson 16 August 2021, 06:23

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Ruth Newnham -

Any chance that the frame which when duplicated uses the “Group” name is part of a group of objects or contains a bunch of groups?

Kiron

Userlevel 3

Hi @Kiron Bondale  - sometimes, but it doesn’t seem consistent - so I just copied a group and the results are in the screenshot - original circled in red. They aren’t ‘grouped’ together as such but there are some links between objects and the frames in the original set. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Ruth Newnham - Are those objects in your screenshot they only objects on the board? I ask because, if you had a frame titled “Group 4” somewhere on the board, when you duplicate a frame that starts with “Group” and is followed by one space and then a numeric value, Miro will create a new frame +1 on top of the highest number, e.g., you create a frame titled “Group 1” and one more frame titled “Group 100”. when you duplicate the “Group 1”  frame, the duplicate frame will be titled “Group 101”.

As for “copy of”, one thing to watch out for is if you have a space after the numeric value, then Miro will not apply the “counter” logic, e.g., “Group 2 “ (note the space after “2” would result in a frame of “Copy of Group 2 “ would be created:

Frame names are also case sensitive, so if you had “Frame 3” and “frame 2” - when you duplicate/copy “Frame 3”, it will be called “Frame 4”, but when you duplicate “frame 2”, the duplicate will be called “frame 3”.

it’s also worth noting that the counter-naming logic executes the same on a Duplicate or a copy-and-paste.