Skip to main content
Question

How to save everything?

• 28 May 2024
  • 7 replies

Sometimes when conducting classes you improvise and as a result, a trace of this process accumulates on the board, which is not written down anywhere else. And I want to save it for analysis, etc.
The question arises: is it possible and how to save all the objects located on my board in their original form on a local disk?
It would be nice to put them in chronological order, and also indicate the authors of specific changes.

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi @vvarnak 

I can’t answer your complete question, but if you want to save boards to your local disk, that is possible by exporting the board -- you’ll get an RTB file you can download, then later upload. But . . . naturally this is different than saving individual objects.

I use Miro for teaching so this feature is pretty important for me. I start with a board in a pristine state, my students make all kinds of changes, and if I want to re-create the original board, I can upload the export I made before I turned my students loose. I can also do this by making a copy (duplicating) of the board . . . but I like to have local copies “just in case.”

Sorry I can’t provide more help

Cheers, Ken

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hi @vvarnak 

Here’s an article that describes how to save a board backup. Hope it’s helpful!

Thank you!

Is the structure of the RTB file open?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@vvarnak - The board backup .rtb is a container/zip files. Once you open it, you will see any documents or images that you added to the board. However, any other data, e.g., shapes or sticky notes, will be encrypted and you will not be able to read the content. 

This is good, all that remains is to connect to a plan that gives such access :)
And to which of these categories do handwritten/drawn fragments and blocks of printed text, added and typed by hand, belong - open or encrypted?

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi @vvarnak 

FWIW there is another way to have access to your objects outside of Miro, if you use a tool like Adobe Acrobat Pro.

You can export your board to a PDF file, then with AAP you can convert the PDF to a Microsoft Word or Microsoft PowerPoint document. You’ll be able to edit all of the text as text, and you’ll be able to have access to most of the shapes as their equivalents in e.g. PowerPoint. I haven't tried handwriting . . . but I assume that will just be a shape in PowerPoint.

But regarding your original point (edit-by-edit history) . . . I’m afraid I don’t have any advice there.

Hope this helps!

@Robert Johnson Cool - I did not know that about RTB files. Good to know. I tried a little experiment by swapping out one PNG file for another - Miro won’t accept the modified file, so there is some digital protection at work somewhere!  But this is still a cool feature if anyone just wants a download of all the images and PNG files.

Cheers, Ken

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Kenneth Ritley 

Cool - I did not know that about RTB files. Good to know. I tried a little experiment by swapping out one PNG file for another - Miro won’t accept the modified file, so there is some digital protection at work somewhere!  

Good to know about the image swapping!

But this is still a cool feature if anyone just wants a download of all the images and PNG files.

And documents, too, e.g., .pdf, .docx, .pptx.

Here is a visual for anyone curious as to what we are dicussing.

From this board with a single sticky note and image added from the Icons and images app:

When I download the board as a .rtb board backup file and open it in 7-Zip, I see: