How to link child to parent in org chart?

• 16 February 2022
  • 4 replies

I’m wondering how to link nodes in an org chart in a parent → child relationship when the child nodes were not created directly from the parent. For example, I have nodes a, b, and c. They were all created separately with no relationship between them. I’d like node a to become a parent with b and c as children.

I’m using the “Company Organizational Chart” template. I can link the parent to the children using lines, but the parent doesn’t seem to recognize that the nodes connected with lines should be children. If I try to use “Align Child Nodes”, the parent ignores the ask since it thinks it has no children.

Thanks in advance for any help!

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@JuliaC -

What happens when you select node b and drag it over node a - in my case, it creates a parent-child link line which allows me to link b as a child of a?

Kiron

@Kiron Bondale I think the drag over works for mind mapping, but the org chart seems to function differently. If I drag node b over node a (with each node representing a person in the org), it just rests on top as an overlay rather than creating a new connection.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@JuliaC -

That’s odd because it seems to be using the basic mind mapping object. Here’s a Loom video I recorded of my experience: 

Kiron

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@JuliaC - Is this the template you are referring to? → Company Organization Chart

If so, this is just a bunch of Cards, Connection Lines, Shapes, and Text objects and cannot easily be rearranged.

You may want to try using a mind map instead, and using the vertical theme: