Question

How to handle saving daily meeting notes

• 15 July 2021
  • 2 replies

I'd like to start using Miro for our daily stand up however I am not sure the best way to save the "notes" from the daily standup meetings each day.

Our current process is to create a word document for each day in our sharepoint site so the entire team has access to all historical notes and in theory can search for key words to locate the relevant SCRUM notes (this doesn't really work in practice as the search engine isn't that great in sharepoint).

Is the best course of action to create a new board for each day? If so, how does one organize all of the boards to keep the projects from being cluttered? 

Or should each day be in a "frame" on the board? Is there concerns with load times if one goes this route? Is there a way to search through past days (frames)?

Any guidance or best practice tips around this are welcome. 

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Sarah Erlund -

Daily standups shouldn’t require any notes as the discussion normally revolves around the work items for the day and hence any updates worth capturing could be added as comments or annotations to those work items. In general, this would be an anti-pattern.

If the team (not management!) insists on documenting their standups and if their work items are being managed as cards in Miro, you could use the comments feature for those.

Kiron

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Sarah Erlund - Something to note: If you do document notes in Miro Comments, while you can search comments on the board, you cannot export them. Therefore, you may want to look at adding notes into a Text or Shape objects - or if you are having multiple people add notes, sticky notes would work as they are quick to create, plus you could tag them, and also export them to CSV.

I would add that my team used Miro for daily standups at the beginning of the pandemic as it allowed for us to take a picture of our physical Kanban board as we exited the office for the unforeseeable future and seamlessly convert those physical sticky notes on the wall into Miro cards in the Kanban framework.

Using a Miro board for our standup made sense for us as it contained our work in progress and was the focus of our discussion. However, once we moved our work into our corporate backlog tool, we no longer used Miro for this purpose.