Skip to main content

As I explore using Miro for a research-based project focused on determining the qibla direction “اتجاه القبلة”, I’ve come across a few challenges that I’m hoping to get some insights on from the community. My goal is to leverage Miro's capabilities for collaborative work, especially when it comes to mapping, visual data representation, and brainstorming sessions with others.

One of the key aspects of my project is that it involves people from various parts of the world who need to work together seamlessly. We need to analyze and share various maps, geographical data, and potentially even 3D models to accurately determine the Qibla direction for different locations. Given the precision required for this task, I’m curious to know how others might be using Miro to handle such data-heavy and detail-oriented work.

I’m particularly interested in learning about the following:

1. Best Practices for Collaborative Mapping: Does anyone have experience using Miro for collaborative mapping? How do you ensure that the geographical data you’re working with is accurate and reliable? Are there specific tools or plugins within Miro that you find particularly useful for this kind of work?

2. Managing International Collaboration: Given that my collaborators are in different countries, time zones, and potentially have varying levels of technical expertise, how do you manage the collaboration effectively on Miro? What strategies have you found helpful to keep everyone on the same page, especially when it comes to sharing complex data like maps and diagrams?

3. Incorporating External Data Sources: I’m considering bringing in data from various external sources, such as GPS coordinates and other mapping tools, to enhance the accuracy of our Qibla direction findings. Has anyone done something similar? How do you integrate external data sources into Miro without losing the interactive and collaborative benefits of the platform?

4. Visualizing Complex Data: Given the nature of Qibla direction research, the data can sometimes get complex, involving different layers of information. How do you use Miro to visualize this data effectively? Are there specific templates or methods within Miro that you would recommend for organizing and presenting such detailed information?

I’m really interested in hearing from others who might have tackled similar projects or who have insights into how Miro can be used in such a precise and collaborative way. Any tips, experiences, or advice you could share would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Hi @Miho 

That sounds like an interesting project. 

Sadly, I can’t give you any best-practices or tips about data-intensive projects using built-in Miro functionality.

But if you are not familiar with it, many data scientists and data analysts use a product called Jupyter Notebook, https://jupyter.org/. I work at a college in Switzerland, and I know probably dozens of people collaborating together using Jupyter. In fact, one of my colleagues is working on his Ph.D. in a project that does geo-mapping of all the trees in Switzerland - this is a very data-intensive job, involving geo-spatial coordinates, and he relies on Jupyter.

Depending on your collaboration needs, it could be that Miro+Jupyter is a “best of breed” approach, using Miro for the non-structured content and Jupyter for the structured content. Here is a good link that may help with this: https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017730993-Inserting-live-content-into-boards.

PS. If you have never used Jupyter, my best advice is: do not give up. It is one of those strange tools that can be daunting to learn, but if someone shows you how, you hit your head and think “now THAT was easy!”

Good luck!  Ken

PS. I just tried googling “mapping with jupyter notebook” and I got many hits, videos, tutorials - so there is probably quite many people using Jupyter for their mapping needs. What Jupyter lacks - and where Miro is strong - is handling all the non-structured aspects of collaboration. 

Hi @Miho,

Thanks for sharing such an interesting and detailed project with us! It sounds like you’re really want to know more about what Miro can do, especially with a research-based project focused on Qibla direction. I’m sure the community will have some great insights to help you out.

To get started, here are a few thoughts on your key points:

Collaborative Mapping:
Miro’s flexibility really shines here. You can definitely use it for collaborative mapping, even on Free plan. Some people have found success by embedding maps or importing images of maps into Miro, then layering other elements on top. You might also want to explore third-party integrations or use iframes to bring in live map data from sources like Google Maps.

Managing International Collaboration:
Since your team is global, setting up clear workflows and using Miro’s collaboration features like comments, @mentions, and video chats can help. It’s also helpful to schedule regular syncs that accommodate different time zones or make use of asynchronous communication within the board. Feel free to visit this article for more information about Tips for Collaboration Sessions.

Incorporating External Data Sources:
Bringing in external data is definitely possible. You can import CSVs, images, and other files into Miro, and then use Miro’s tools to annotate or layer additional information. Some people also use Zapier to automate the integration of external data sources with Miro, which could be helpful depending on the tools you’re using for GPS coordinates and mapping.

Visualizing Complex Data:
Layering is key to visualizing complex data. You can use frames to organize different layers of information. Miro’s mind maps, flowcharts, and other diagramming tools can be useful for organizing thoughts and data hierarchically. If you’re dealing with 3D models, embedding them through an iframe or linking out to a shared resource might be your best bet.

I’m sure the community has plenty of additional tips and experiences to share, so I hope this gives you a good starting point. Feel free to reach out if you have more questions or need further assistance!

Here are additional helpful articles for you:

Best of luck with your project!

Eca