How to delete unwanted frames

I’ve copied some design elements from one board to another and it seems to have kept frames. When I try to delete the frames in the frames panel on the left, the design elements delete as well. How can i keep the design but reset the frames?

thanks

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Ben Afia - Hmmm. Using the “delete” option for a frame in the frames panel does not delete the frames contents - I tried this in both chrome and the desktop app on Windows 10 64-bit. However, there could be something different between our two scenarios. Nonetheless, you can target objects by type by filtering a group of selected objects.

Example:

1. I select a group of different object types using Shift + drag
  2. select filter
  3. choose Frames
  4. and then delete just the selected frames

@Ben Afia - Hmmm. Using the “delete” option for a frame in the frames panel does not delete the frames contents - I tried this in both chrome and the desktop app on Windows 10 64-bit. However, there could be something different between our two scenarios. Nonetheless, you can target objects by type by filtering a group of selected objects.

Example:

1. I select a group of different object types using Shift + drag
  2. select filter
  3. choose Frames
  4. and then delete just the selected frames

Thanks Robert. Unfortunately when I select just the frames and delete them, I lose some white backgrounds too. So I’m guessing the person who designed the template used frames and coloured the background. I guess I can re-create the white background boxes, though I’m not sure how.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Ben Afia - You should use a rectangle shape and fill in the background color. Have a look at the Shapes Help Center article → https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017730713-Shapes

@Ben Afia - You should use a rectangle shape and fill in the background color. Have a look at the Shapes Help Center article → https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017730713-Shapes

Thanks Robert, I’ll give it a go. The rectangles look to have a drop shadow, do you know how to create that?

Thanks Robert, I’ll give it a go. The rectangles look to have a drop shadow, do you know how to create that?

I think i sussed it - border

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Ben Afia - If they have a drop shadow, they are likely frames.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I’m pretty sure there used to be a delete option here from the frames panel but now its missing. Would you remember?

I’ve added it to the wish list https://community.miro.com/wish-list-32/deleting-a-frame-from-the-frame-panel-6462

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Mishal - I have a Delete option. What is your relationship to the board where you took that screenshot? Are you the board owner? A member of the team? A guest or visitor editor?

Another possibility is that a browser extension is blocking some elements on the board. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I’m the board owner and using the desktop app.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Mishal - I can't test this myself at the moment as I have our our-day old baby on my lap 😍

What happens if you reset the application data? Steps in this article:

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017572854-Desktop-app

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes: ​​​​​​​:heart_eyes: ​​​​​​​ Please enjoy your time with your baby :baby: Congratulations! Hope both the baby and mum are doing well and staying healthy.

I’ll try resetting - thanks for your guidance.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Thank you, @Mishal ☺️

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I found the reason it wasn’t showing up...

It was because those frames were locked on the board :sweat_smile:

I figured out a work around for this… Depending on whether the person who made the board and whether they locked it and only they can edit it I suppose. But I accidentally put 3 frames on a few different design assets I have in a career roadmap template I’m currently working on.. I could have let it go as if it was just a private board I would be the only one who would see the not wanted frames… but its so beautiful the design I have made up and has so many handy and helpful tolls (well I think so anyway- I couldn't find anything that included all the stuff on this map in one roadmap.. I have basically included about 20 different steps and tools from about 15 different roadmaps all over the internet and changed them to suit the career theme and made it a really lovely design and so I want to put it into my digital products store- either as a free template or maybe a paid one.. I need to work out how to use MIRO for making digital products to put in my store as free or paid products like I can do with Canva, Illustrator, Indesign, Microsoft and Apple’s iSuite software etc… Because I have to convert Miro templates into MS/Apple or Canva to get decent fonts and to make them shareable as editable PDF’s. Not many people use MIRO yet so unsure if it would work to share the link to the product I've made yet. I don't want my clients to have to pay for my product and then have to pay for a MIRO subscription to even utile said product… that would be terrible… I might contact Miro and see if I can come to some sort of discount coupon or affiliate marketing etc for products I sell that I've made in Miro.. I have literally only made one product (this roadmap) in MIRO so far so I dont know if I will ever use it for my DP biz… I may jutst use it for my own educational purposes (im a student doing post grad studies and I am also an educator. I haven't utilised the collab functions yet but no doubt I will as a collaborative real time what board is amazing for my online courses that will be launching in 2023! Sorry I went on a tangent there! BACK TO HOW I FIXED THIS ISSUE JUST NOW MYSELF:

MY SOLUTION TO SAID ISSUE: (don’t bother with the TL;DR stuff above if you just want to read what I did as a workaround for this issue.. Just jump straight to here!)

I accidentally had 3 boxes that I had text in as well. So thats really 3 design elements per frame- the box and the text box and the colour of the box - I had pink, blue and yellow boxes with white font in them.. recreating them to the same size and with all that font would have been hideous! Every time I saved the template as a PDF to see what it would look like in an online store or as free lead generation product giveaway, like the view before people downloaded it as a template- those frames kept making the PDF like 5 pages longer with huge boxes spread across 5 pages all broken up before you even got to the career roadmap page… it was annoying and really unprofessional.. like you wouldn't even share it for free and it was my fault as I had created frames myself after doing one accidentally and thinking “oh thats not so bad it just gives that yellow box a nice white border”… silly me lol So… I copied and pasted each design asset - so the coloured box with the white font in my situation -  and then just pasted it off to the side of my roadmap template just so I had a full copied and pasted version of that design asset… then I clicked on the frame and pressed the 3 dots to expand the drop down menu and chose delete and the frame pf course disappeared as did the design asset inside of it.. but that didn't matter at all anymore as I had copied and pasted that exact design asset off the side, ready to be placed back in exactly where it was supposed to go but without the silly frames I stupidly installed after the one accidental one… I kept doing this for multiple boxes until all 5 or 6 frames were removed from my Miro board template, I know it seems quote convoluted but it worked for me as a hack…. maybe I could have grouped all the boxes together and copied and pasted it all as one group tp the side of my board that would have made it quicker.. I’ll experiment and see if that works actually … but this is only my first week on Miro and have been using it daily on this project just tp familiarise myself with all the tools and shortcuts etc.. But I HAVE to say again PLEASE MIRO LET US IMPORT OUR OWN FONTS! Especially our own brand fonts! Please I beg you! 

I just wanted to say- I apologise profusely for al the typos… I am heavily pregnant (4 weeks to go!) and  have a two year old as well and I am a single Mumma now and studying nursing as well so I’m just EXHAUSTED all of the time and also multi-tasking 24/7… 365! Or as rappers say: “ALL DAY ERE DAY” LOL 🤣😂Thus the typos and terrible grammar etc .. I am typing whilst cooking dinner and toddler wrangling! Sorry for the long drawn out response too!