How does a Team Admin delete another members' board?

Userlevel 2

We’ve just started using Miro at the company I work for in the last 3 months or so, and cannot find a way for our Project Manager to delete others’ boards / projects in our Miro account / team. Based on the documentation I’ve found on Miro’s site, it seems that Team Admins are not really admins at all, as only board owners are able to delete or backup their boards.

This makes sense from an ownership standpoint, however, it leaves our workspace cluttered with rogue / old boards. Our Team Admin shouldn’t have to remove the member from the Team entirely just to Administrate their boards, and manually reaching out to these team members occupies time in our work day because many team members are remote.

Questions for the Miro Team:

• Can we get a more granular permission system so those with the Team Admin role can actually, you know, administrate the team / account?
  • Or is this only possible if we have Company Admins through an Enterprise level account?
  • Or will deleting & backing up boards forever be limited only to the board owner? (If so, we’re going to have to look for a replacement because that doesn’t work for us.)

Marina 3 years ago

Hi there,

I hear you all! Please feel free to upvote the idea here - https://community.miro.com/wish-list-32/delete-a-board-not-owned-by-administrator-352 and add your comments to that thread as well.

Thank you :slight_smile:

View original

31 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Erik Wright, thanks for sharing your use case! You are right, for now, only board owners can delete their boards.

The good news - we are currently working on the functionality for Company Admins on the Enterprise Plan to be able to manage content within the organization. :wink:

The good news - we are currently working on the functionality for Company Admins on the Enterprise Plan to be able to manage content within the organization. :wink:

This is really needed for our organization to continue working with Miro as a daily tool.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Marina -

It would be great if this was also added to the Consultant plan as over time you can get a tremendous number of boards created by different clients and the ability to delete those would be helpful.

Kiron

Agree with @Kiron Bondale this needs to be in the Consultant plan too.  Desperately need the ability for Company Admin to be able to maintain and tidy up at the very least (ideally Team Admins too)

@Marina when is this coming?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Marina - 

The ability to do basic “cleanup” on an account is not a differentiator which would convince a customer to switch to a higher tier plan. If anything, the lack of such cleanup capability would be a detractor. For the product management folks in the group, Kano would have called this a Basic Need :grinning: .

I’d strongly recommend making it a standard feature for ALL plans.

Kiron

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi there,

Yes, I hear you. I will forward your feedback to the relevant team.

Userlevel 1

@Marina. I can’t agree more on that. Deleting boards should be a default feature for Team Admin regardless the Pricing Plan.

Userlevel 1

Hi
I am the admin (or super admin?) of Miro in my company 

I wish to delete a board that was made by another owner (he is no longer working etc.) 
But I see no option to do that 
Do I have any way to overwrite this ? 

Thanks in advance 

Eyal Ganor 

@Marina - 

I’d strongly recommend making it a standard feature for ALL plans.

Education too. The first thing a student does is make their own board, poke around and then abandon it. I have tried making and sharing sandbox boards just to reduce the clutter, but I agree this is a pretty core need for administration.

Hi @Erik Wright, thanks for sharing your use case! You are right, for now, only board owners can delete their boards.

Hi Marina, 

We have just started exploring Miro and as I advocate for its use in the company under the free plan so that I can get the business case together, people create boards and I  (As the admin of the free plan) cannot delete them. 

That’s fine for free while exploring, I guess, but I would have expected this ability of a team admin to delete other people’s boards (in an auditable way, perhaps soft delete etc etc) to be a basic permission in the paid plans. An incentive to sign up. Not an incentive to pay double for the Enterprise plan though. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi there,

I hear you all! Please feel free to upvote the idea here - https://community.miro.com/wish-list-32/delete-a-board-not-owned-by-administrator-352 and add your comments to that thread as well.

Hi there,

That post is regarding deleting boards, not projects, but I’m shocked to find out that this wasn’t an option either for a Team Admin. This isn’t some obscure suggestion in need of an upvote, it is core functionality that, I assume, can be solved on your end at the click of a button.

Our company has used Miro for only a couple of weeks and the projects titled “New project” are piling up. A lot of people new to Miro clicks on “+Add” and don’t expect a new project to appear until you press “Done”, they think it’s cancelled when you press the X. It’s standard to press X to cancel an action, but unbeknownst to them they accidentally added another “New Project” that I can’t delete.

Please fix the UX concerning adding new projects, and I can’t believe I have to ask for this but please give admin control for the admin.

@Marina. I can’t agree more on that. Deleting boards should be a default feature for Team Admin regardless the Pricing Plan.

I STRONGLY agree! This should not be limited to Enterprise plans. Smaller teams need this ability, too.

Same here. Needs to happen soon. 

Hi 

Just started using Miro with our company and I’m a bit stunned that this isn’t a standard admin feature. We only have a few boards and projects right now, but already feel the pain of missing this feature as an admin. 

Would be great if admins always have the delete-option for projects and boards, no matter what plan you’re on. 

Thanks!

Just adding my voice to those asking about admins being able to delete boards. The voice in my head that likes all folders/workspaces to be tidy is screaming very loudly at the number of “untitled”/”My first board” entries that are cluttering up our project, with no recourse to delete them.

Given boards can be restored for up to 30 days post-deletion, surely this in itself mitigates any issues caused by powermonging admins?

Needs a solution….

Completely agree with the above comments. Please can this be prioritised? It should be core functionality for a Team Admin.

Dear Miro team

I don’t really understand how you expect me to proceed. The person who created the board is no longer working in the company. How am I expected to delete their boards?

Is this really still not resolved?

I was just added as Team Admin and have the same issue.

Please advise how a team admin can delete a board created by an employee no longer with the company.

Thank you.

This is ridiculous. I am the team admin and many people created untitled boards that I would like to cleanup. Now I need to contact them 1 by 1 for them to delete or give me access. Too much friction! Result: I leave the clutter as it is. Very frustrating!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Christophe Meray - Depending on the number of Team Members and how new they are/how many boards they have created, you could delete and re-add them to the team. During this process, you could chose to become the owner of their boards, delete what you don’t want, and then make the owner of any boards that they did want to keep.

I completely understand if you don’t want to go through with all of that. Moving forward, I would suggest that you make a change in your Team profile → Permissions → Board/Project default Sharing settings so that every new board or Project created in only visible/accessible by the team member who creates it, i.e., everything remains private. Then,  once created, the team member would choose who they wanted to have access to the board or Project.

You can find these settings by:

1. using the Team profile settings button:
  2. Selecting Permissions and scrolling down to Sharing settings → Board and Project:

Hello! 
To those still searching for a solution how to delete boards that are created randomly and then “block out” other boards to the view only function: You still can't delete a board if you are not the owner, but you can delete the member and their content from your team. (Boards > Team > Users > Select User > Delete User and content) This way those boards get erased and if needed you can re-invite the member to your team. 

Cheers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hello! 
To those still searching for a solution how to delete boards that are created randomly and then “block out” other boards to the view only function: You still can't delete a board if you are not the owner, but you can delete the member and their content from your team. (Boards > Team > Users > Select User > Delete User and content) This way those boards get erased and if needed you can re-invite the member to your team

Cheers!

Just keep in mind that if you deleted a user from a team so that you could delete one or more boards, but intend on adding the user back, you should then also transfer ownership of all of their wanted boards/projects/custom templates back to them.