Has anybody tried Jitsi Meet? - Any ways for cooperation? Experience comparison zoom vs Jitsi

• 3 April 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
  • Experienced Community Member
  • 743 replies

Hello,

I know that you are working closely together with zoom here in miro.

I discovered Jitsi Meet.
https://jitsi.org/jitsi-meet/

It is open source.

So my question is:
Could this be an alternative for you at miro?

And the second question:

Has anybody worked with this?
How does it compare to zoom?

Does it offer the same quality?

Michael

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It's a good complementary tool to use for breakout rooms if the default video conferencing doesn't have such a feature. You should still use Zoom or other more robust video conferencing platform, if available.

Quality-wise, it's on par with Google Meet. In fact, I believe it's the same underlying technology. It has limited features but the best is the persistent meeting URL that you can re-use.

Here's an example of how I use it in Miro (inspired by a suggestion by another facilitator)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thank you @Isman Tanuri .

Maybe I will give it a try next time I use a video conferencing tool.

Michael

As a new miro user I’am wondering why zoom or another meeting software is still needed. Video calling is build in right? Would really like to just have 1 easy solution for me and my clients to work with.

Yes the breakout rooms for bigger meetings are a big plus for zoom, jitsi. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Rogier 

I’m totally with you and use most times the Video calling function of miro.

I need other tools if I like to share external applications that I need to show in miro.

So I cannot show PowerPoint files or in my case I use a meeting app where I show a problem between more person and the inner feelings of my client.

I cannot do this in miro - I need this app to show this to my client.

Michael

@Rogier

I need other tools if I like to share external applications that I need to show in miro.

Ah yes clear. Not sure if this will ever be on the roadmap of Miro to offer. Looks like they will be more focused on integration with zoom for this.