Guest editors able to continue working on the board with paying user "absent"?

• 27 April 2020
  • 5 replies

Hi, dears, 

I have a question for those of you already having a Team plan and tested some workshops with external guest editors: 

In considering to upgrade to a paying plan, I was wondering if guest editors are able to, the days after the workshop they attended, to continue working freely and on their own on the (public) board created by the paying user? That is even if the user has not “opened” the board, i.e. the paying user is not present on the board at that moment?

On Miro Help center we read that “Guest Editors will have access to the board as long as it's public”, but I would like some confirmations on that following your direct experience :) 

Thank you!

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hello @Francesca -

Yes, as long as the board is still being shared with the public, guest editors who have the URL to access it would continue to be able to edit it. This is one of the potential disadvantages of this capability as long as there isn’t the option of adding and changing passwords for accessing a public board.

As the board owner, you could always stop sharing it, but till then, anyone who has the URL can go in and make changes. You would see what changes have been made and when, but would not be able to identify WHO had made them if it was a guest editor.

Kiron

Userlevel 3

Hi guys, 
Thanks for your questions and answers.

I’d like to understand better what is your use-case and if it can be served by switching guests’ access from editing to commenting after your session is finished?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Timm Shrago -

I think your suggestion would help in the context which @Francesca had provided, but a more general solution which would cover multiple use cases would be to just add a password capability to the public sharing option. That way, the board owner could just change the password to the board if they wanted to prevent previous guest editors from accessing it but still give access to others.

Kiron

Userlevel 3

Hi @Kiron Bondale 
Thank you for your reply. We’re working on the solution for a broader range of use cases.
What would you expect to happen with the users who are on the board when the board owner changes the password? I’m interested in your opinion both as a board owner and as a guest user.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Timm Shrago -

Thanks for following up on this! I’d see two possible options for currently active anonymous guest editors:

1. Miro warns them that they will no longer have access to the board and “kicks them out”.
  2. Miro warns them that they will no longer have access to the board once they exit in but lets them continue to work on it at present.

Ideally, when the board owner changes the password they will be prompted to pick which of the above two options they’d like to choose.

Kiron