Skip to main content

Having a specific bug in which a gif reliably works when left at or returned to its native imported size but becomes non-functional when resized to below a certain threshold. I’m talking about maybe a 20% reduction in size (at which point the gif will no longer play). Settings for “reduce motion” don’t solve this issue and it’s replicable after a hard page reload.

Hi @Polycot 

Thank you for sharing the details of the issue!

It’s interesting that the GIF plays correctly when kept at its native size but stops when resized. In my replication, GIF remained playing even when the size is changed.

To help the team investigate further, could you please provide a short video of the issue showing the steps you take to resize the GIF and when it stops working? This will help us better understand the behavior and find a solution.

Additionally, could you confirm the following details:

1. What browser or app (desktop or web) you’re using?
  2. Is this issue happening with all other boards as well or just the current board you are working on?
  3. Is this issue persists when another GIF is placed on the board?
  4. Have you heard other users you’ve collaborated with having this issue?
  5. Did you get the GIF directly from Miro’s GIF tool or is this from another platform?
  6. Have you tried testing the behavior on a different browser/device?

Once we have this information, we’ll be able to investigate further.

Looking forward to your response!

Thanks for the quick response, and sure thing!

1. Desktop app
  2. The same gif imported to another board doesn’t seem to have this issue, but reimporting or replacing the gif on the suspect board does not solve the issue.
  3. Yes, adding more gifs doesn’t impact the non-functional one, though other gifs seem to work normally when added.
  4. No, wasn’t able to find anything online regarding this specific issue either.
  5. This is a custom gif with two alternating frames. 220 KB. Again, works as expected when sized up or left at the imported size.
  6. I don’t have means to readily test this on other devices at this time.

One possibly helpful note is that the “gif” label in the lower left corner of the image is still appearing and scales appropriately as I zoom in and out.

Thanks again for your help!

Hi @Polycot,

Thanks for providing those additional details!

One thing I noticed when I tried replicating the issue is that the “GIF” label didn’t show up on my end, and the video played as a GIF without issues. However, I did observe that the “GIF” label usually appears in two scenarios:

1. When the GIF is still loading/uploading to the board.
  2. When the connection is unstable, causing the GIF to behave more like a static image.

It’s possible the issue you’re experiencing could be related to either of these factors. Could you check if your connection is stable or try re-uploading the GIF when on a stronger network?

Let me know if that helps, and I’ll be happy to assist further if needed!