Frames

• 5 September 2022
  • 11 replies

I’m coming from Mural and finding it *very* difficult to work with frames. Can someone please help me understand how to select frames once I’ve placed them? 

EX:
I have 3 notes of whatever variety. I select them all, and click the 3 dots and select ‘create a frame’. Works great. 

BUT…

Then I try to select that frame. Works okay if there is nothing behind it, but if there is just a background box (to provide some color/contrast), i can’t select the frame. I rarely use titles for frames b/c it doesn’t look good and can’t be styled, so it seems the only way to select the frame is to click on the border, but that never works. It selects what is behind it, even if that thing behind it is locked. 

What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any help. :)

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@JebDickerson -

This of a frame as a tray which automatically grabs all the items within its boundaries. When you move the frame, all items within it will also move, even locked ones. The locked ones are locked where they are within the frame but the frame itself can be moved with them in it.

Once you have created a frame, you click on the name of the frame to select it. You can also click on any of the boundary lines. Once it is selected, you can move it by dragging the name label or by dragging from any point in the frame which isn’t part of a shape or a boundary line within the frame.

Kiron

@JebDickerson -

This of a frame as a tray which automatically grabs all the items within its boundaries. When you move the frame, all items within it will also move, even locked ones. The locked ones are locked where they are within the frame but the frame itself can be moved with them in it.

Once you have created a frame, you click on the name of the frame to select it. You can also click on any of the boundary lines. Once it is selected, you can move it by dragging the name label or by dragging from any point in the frame which isn’t part of a shape or a boundary line within the frame.

Kiron

Hello Kiron,

Thanks for the reply. That makes total sense. The trouble I’m having is being able to grab the tray/frame when it sits upon something else. IOW, if I want a background other than the basic workspace, and, say, I place a black box/shape just to provide that visual distinction/contrast. Then, when I have things layered upon that background, and I group them into a frame, THAT is when I can’t seem to grab the frame. I end up having to move the background shape and do what I need to do, then move it back. I’ve sent the background shape to the back, and this still happens. 

Any thoughts? Thanks again. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@JebDickerson -

Yes, unfortunately frames behavior can be a bit tricky when there are objects larger than the frame. ​​​​​Is the background a frame or just a rectangle? if the latter, try creating a frame from it and see if that makes the behavior more predictable…

Kiron

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@JebDickerson - A few more notes about moving frames...

Three options:

1. Click close to the border and drag
  2. Select the frame (by clicking border) then drag
  3. Left-click and drag around the entire to frame to select it (and all objects inside) and then click anywhere on the frame and drag.

Here are all three in action:

Three options:

3. Left-click and drag around the entire to frame to select it (and all objects inside) and then click anywhere on the frame and drag.

Super helpful, thank you. I think I’ve come to the conclusion that it all works great as long as it’s not on top of a background. That’s a bummer, but a limitation I can work with :)

Thanks again.

If the latter, try constructing a frame from it to see if that improves the predictability of the behavior. 

backrooms game

If the latter, try constructing a frame from it to see if that improves the predictability of the behavior. 

Thanks!

Userlevel 3

That screen movie trick with the blue arrow has to be the coolest thing I’ve seen all month!

That screen movie trick with the blue arrow has to be the coolest thing I’ve seen all month!

Yep!!

Userlevel 3
Badge

Three options:

Hello @Robert Johnson ,

If I may ask, which software you use to capture this screen grabs?

Thanks

Aman

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@aman - Hey! I am using SnagIt to create the GIFs (since I already have a license and use it for screenshots and screen recordings too). Another GIF option that I have seen others in the Community use if ScreenToGif → https://www.screentogif.com/