Extreme lag in Chrome M1 MacBook

• 8 September 2022
  • 8 replies

Hi all,

Recently, my M1 MacBook Pro have started lagging like crazy (around 1-2 FPS) in Chrome (Version 106.0.5249.21 (Official Build) beta (arm64)).

This did not happen until last week, so not sure what might have caused it.

What I’ve noticed is that the GPU utilisation rushes to 100% once I open a miro board, and the entire MacBook becomes unresponsive.

I tried restarting my Mac, updating Chrome, making sure my Mac is at the latest version (12.5.1 (21G83)), but no change.

Does anyone face the same issue or know how to fix?

Just an FYI, using the miro electron app does not have this issue for me, but I prefer using the browser version, so wanna know what I can do from my side to resolve this.

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hi @Well,

Thanks for reporting this issue!

Could you let me know if you noticed this lagging with other tabs open in addition to Miro or with having Miro as the only thing open in Chrome? Also, could you please check what the situation is like in Incognito mode and in Chrome Beta

The lagging affects other opened tabs in Chrome, and Chrome in general becomes unresponsive and sluggish.

Just tried in incognito mode, and the same issue occurs.

And as mentioned in my OP, I am running Chrome beta already.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Thanks for checking!

Could you let me know how does it work in original Chrome (not Beta)? Does it happens on a specific board or already on the dashboard? We've checked on a few M1 Macbooks with Version 105.0.5195.102 (Official Build) (arm64) and had no issues. Does it happen on a specific board or even on a newly created one? 

Finally, could you check if disabling hardware acceleration makes any difference? 

Thanks for checking!

Could you let me know how does it work in original Chrome (not Beta)? Does it happens on a specific board or already on the dashboard? We've checked on a few M1 Macbooks with Version 105.0.5195.102 (Official Build) (arm64) and had no issues. Does it happen on a specific board or even on a newly created one? 

Finally, could you check if disabling hardware acceleration makes any difference? 

Disabling hardware acceleration does help with not clogging up Chrome entirely but it does nothing for Miro itself. It in fact barely loads the board now. Dashboard works just fine.

Observed this with the latest Chrome Version 106.0.5249.30 (Official Build) beta (arm64).

All was well until last week. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hi @chirag_kc,

What about the rest of questions: 

• Could you let me know how does it work in original Chrome (not Beta)?
  • Does it happen on a specific board or even on a newly created one?   

I just tried it in original Chrome and there is no lag.

The lag in the Chrome beta happens on every board.

I also tried disabling hardware acceleration in Chrome beta, but it made no difference.

I have the same issue with Chrome Version 106.0.5249.61 (official build) both at home (Mac mini M1 2020, MacOS 12.6) and at work (Windows 10, 32-bit). I have noticed the sluggishness this week with the update from Chrome 105 to 106 on all boards, heavy and light.

At home I have switched to Safari and at work to Vivaldi. Miro is very responsive.

Just an update from my side:

I updated to the latest beta version today:

• Version 107.0.5304.18 (Official Build) beta (arm64)

And the lag seems to have been fixed. Will update if it starts lagging again.