[EXPECTED BEHAVIOR] Boards not on my favorite list anymore? Why?

• 3 January 2024
  • 6 replies

Hello together,

i have the following problem: in the beginning of every week on monday my starred board list changed in so far as all the boards which require a password are not listed there anymore. 

I have to access them every monday via a link and type in the password again before they are shown again in my starred board list.

Can someone may help here with this problem that the starred board list stays as it is?

best regards

Chris

Robert Johnson 2 months ago

Update from Miro support [EXPECTED BEHAVIOR]:

After a thorough investigation, the team has identified the reason for the behavior:

Currently, password-protected boards are only shown in the Starred list as long as they are visible to the user

Once the session expires for the user, the boards become unavailable for them and, as a result, are removed from the Starred list. If the user opens the board via a direct link and re-enters the board password, the board will be shown as Starred again.

That being said, at the moment, this is an expected behavior for password-protected boards. 

However, we understand how inconvenient this might be for users needing multiple password-protected boards regularly, and the team is going to consider how the current behavior can be improved. Even though they have plans to work on this, I'm afraid there's no ETA on when the solution will be designed and implemented in the product.

View original

6 replies

The same for me. The “Starred boards” section does not make sense any more because my starred boards which are requiring passwords are not listed there. Basically, this affects all of my boards 😅. I also have to search for an external link to access these boards again each time. Then, when I open such a board, I have the option to “unstar” it, which suggests, that it has been correctly starred beforehand. This is very irritating and frustrating.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hmm. I tried this myself and same behavior: A soon as a password is added to a board, it disappears from the non-team member/visitors Starred boards page in their dashboard.

I had a look at the Starred boards section of the What is on your dashboard article and the Password protection for public boards article and see no mention of this being expected behaviour.

Seems buggy to me. I will open a support ticket and update this post with what they have to say.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Update from Miro Support (confirmed BUG):

Thanks for reaching out and reporting the issue.

We can confirm that a bug on our end causes the issue with boards disappearing from the Starred view – we sincerely apologize for all the inconvenience it causes and assure you that we're working towards a resolution as our engineering team is already looking into the case.

We'll continue to follow up with any updates as soon as possible. Please bear with us!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Update from Miro support [EXPECTED BEHAVIOR]:

After a thorough investigation, the team has identified the reason for the behavior:

Currently, password-protected boards are only shown in the Starred list as long as they are visible to the user

Once the session expires for the user, the boards become unavailable for them and, as a result, are removed from the Starred list. If the user opens the board via a direct link and re-enters the board password, the board will be shown as Starred again.

That being said, at the moment, this is an expected behavior for password-protected boards. 

However, we understand how inconvenient this might be for users needing multiple password-protected boards regularly, and the team is going to consider how the current behavior can be improved. Even though they have plans to work on this, I'm afraid there's no ETA on when the solution will be designed and implemented in the product.

Thank you Robert for your update. If this is now an “expected behaviour”, but a few versions ago this behaviour did not occur, means that the Miro team changed the behaviour for a specific reason or design goal which I would really like to question here. From software development perspective such decisions can be made undone in case of unsatisfying results.

My example use case and why I can be considered as an “unsatisfying result”: For 2.5 years I am working in a multi-partner project with such a shared and password-protected board. Until now, everything was great. But recently, whenever I want to access this board, I have to ask my oracle to find the link to this board. If a board is already password-protected, why does it suddenly become “hidden” from the people it has been shared to? Being password-protected and being hidden are two different things. In terms of sharing this does not make sense and for me, the user who is supposed to be able to work with that board, it is cumbersome and unpractical. What will be my personal consequence? I could potentially stop using Miro because by having been introduced to this “feature”, usability disappeared for me 😉.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@michikommader - I agree that, if this is now the new expected behaviour, i.e., something changed, this can be disappointing. I would be curious to know if, when you can no longer see the board on your Starred boards page, can you see it on your Recent boards page?

Either way, if you would like to pass along your feedback to the product team (and if you have a paid subscription) you can do so through the support form (Miro Product → General question or feedback) by following these instructions:

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020185799-How-to-contact-Miro-Support#h_01F010RXA0E1S9C0WFQYX75R6C