Question

Editing a table

• 7 January 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi all,
I have tried importing excel tables - but it just won’t work for me: all the content appears on individual stickies in a grid or table which is incredibly messy! 

In the past I have managed to create create something which is rather like a table but just for text (see attached screenshot of it in editing mode.  This issue I have is that the main Miro menus (i.e. board name, hiding cursors, meeting etc. all cover the top row of my table so there is no way to select the top cells except those in the middle! So deleting columns is possible only for those in the middle of the table!

How can I edit this table properly?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Nic Parham -

I believe that table in the screenshot was Miro’s “old” table object which was replaced by the new (formerly grid) table which provides much richer capabilities. Unfortunately, the old table doesn’t appear to be available anymore although you can copy & paste existing instances of it from boards. 

As far as the import capability goes, you should be able to create a new Miro table with sufficient rows & columns, copy the content in your Excel spreadsheet (Ctrl-C) and paste it into a cell in the Miro table (Ctrl-V). This will bring the selected content from the Excel spreadsheet as individual rows & cells (not sticky notes) into that table.

Kiron

Userlevel 1

Thank you @Kiron Bondale . That explains why I cannot create it anew from the menu.

I have used the new table - but have been unable to paste contents except cell by cell. If I copy a row of data from an excel sheet and select the top left cell in my Miro table, all the text appears in the top left cell.  If I select the entire row of the Miro table, my text is pasted as completely separate ‘note’ floating on top of the table! Perhaps it is a Mac or Safari issue...

Secondly, I cannot anywhere find the ability to set the row height for all rows at the same time - or width for all columns for that matter.  It seems every row or column must be altered individually!

The only advantage of the new grid table I see is that uses can edit different cells concurrently. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Nic Parham -

That is odd as it worked fine for me on a Windows 10 laptop with Google Chrome. You might want to have Miro support troubleshoot that behavior for you. You can submit a support request here: https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?referer=community

As far as resizing all rows or all columns, the only way I know to do this would be to resize the full table using the corner resizing handles.

Kiron

Userlevel 1

Thank you @Kiron Bondale.