Answered

Duplicating items erratic/random placement of duplicated item

• 30 January 2021
  • 4 replies

Pressing Duplicate Item in (elipses) “…” menu on object-specific bar duplicates yes, BUT places object in inconsistent direction + distance every time.  

icon

Best answer by Robert Johnson 30 January 2021, 04:55

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Matthias - I just did some testing and the Duplicate logic appears to have the following sequence: create to the right, left, bottom, top, and then offset to the right and down.

The code considers the dimensions of the object, looks at the space in available in the next location in the sequence and if there if there is no other object within the space, it places the duplicate there. Otherwise it looks at the available space in the the next location of the sequence.

To demonstrate this, I will duplicate a sticky with no other objects around it. The sequence will be:

1. right
  2. left
  3. bottom
  4. top
  5. a little to the right and down (and repeat)

Next, I put a sticky object to the right and left, just far enough away that the stickies have room to be duplicate to the right and left. However, if I move the “Blocker” stickies so that their coordinates are within that of my test/yellow sticky, then program will say: can’t create to the right or left, and will start at the bottom and move to the top:

And I did a quick test with connection lines and the code seems to ignore objects with a certain width - note that it doesn’t see/include the line to the right, but seems to recognize the line to the left:

When selected, the curvy line occupies more total space than the straight line:

So, there is consistent logic going on.

(Yes, this is what I do on a Friday night.)

Thanks Robert! Was always curious why this was the case, though hadn’t thought to test as you have. Grateful to you for revealing the method Miro’s got here. I guess it’s one way of avoiding overlapping items as you’re examples demonstrate. I’m not sure if this Miro logic is best ~ most useful/efficient. It might be worthwhile considering the benefit of enabling same direction duplication especially when repeating a duplication in a given direction (option-click drag). Know what I mean? Thanks for your Friday night awesomeness! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Matthias

I’m not sure if this Miro logic is best ~ most useful/efficient.

Agreed. Why not just put them all close by, i.e., a little over and down, and then let the user decide where they would like to put them. Oh well, without the voice of people like you and I when the feature was built, it was an internal decision.

By the way, I am jealous of your signature and can only wish I would have been that clever. :baby:

@Robert Johnson Miro’s choice makes sense in a well-intentioned way, but kinda misses the opportunity to take advantage of step-and-repeat / repeat duplicate that gave become prominent time-savers in AdobeCS.  Identifying these usability norms (habits) and building with them in mind I feel make products ever easier to use. Thanks again for your speedy and diligent response.