Downloading Miro Desktop App for pre-macOS 10.15 (e.g., High Sierra, Mojave)

• 12 October 2023
  • 12 replies

Hi,

I’m on macOS 10.13.6.

According to the website, I should be able to use the desktop App. 

But when I try to open it, I get this error message.

Is there a way to download older versions of Miro?

John Little 7 months ago

Here’s my final reply from Miro support…

“We definitely understand your frustration with not being able to use Miro the way you're most comfortable with (the Desktop App).

If you're not ready to upgrade your OS version, you can continue using Miro in the browser.

We cannot offer alternative solutions as much as we'd love to. Apple stopped supporting Mojave 2 years ago and, as with any other application, ours has minimum system requirements. We have an obligation to keep our applications secure, which means that sometimes we will lose support for older systems as we keep with the upstream.

Also, as mentioned, we must ensure that our users are operating with the most secure and updated versions of our software, which is why we can't provide links to an older version of our application.”

I think the two salient points are

Apple support for Mojave ended 2 years ago and

We can use the browser version.

View original

12 replies

I’m running MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 (yeah i know it’s old but I’m on a mid 2012 MAC Book Pro)

The system auto installed the Miro (desktop (Mac) version 0.8.0.

When I invoked the app i got the message that the new version requires MacOS 10.15 or later.

I’m not upgrading my OS due to my old HW.

Does anyone know how can I get back to the previous version of Miro prior to this update?

Does Miro have a website where I can find a link to download the previous version i had?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@John Little - I merged your post with a similar post.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I have opened a ticket with Miro support to clarify this recent change and to ask if it is possible to roll back to a previous version of he desktop app.

I will update this post as I hear back from the support team.

I had also contacted customer support in parallel with posting here. I’ll monitor this thread as well so i don’t duplicate responses from support team.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Here’s the response I got from the Support team. With no mention of a previous version being available, I can only take that as being a “No.” 😔

After updating to the latest Electron version, our Desktop App can no longer support macOS versions older than 10.15 (Catalina), since Google has dropped support for Chromium on those versions. Help Center will be soon updated.

I have the same issue as John Little. The Miro desktop app prompted me to install an update, and when I did it effectively broke the app for my system. I am on an old Mac Pro with 10.14.6 (Mojave). Update to Catalina is difficult and requires all sorts of work-arounds. 

Thanks for taking this up with support.

I have the same problem..

And since I’m a student I don’t have a business account so I can’t contact Miro’s team..

Hope they let us download their previous version that work with Mojave.

I am using Miro for my master degree so I hope I can use the app soon.

a workaround that I have found is that I can still run Miro in my Chrome browser with no loss of functionality that I’e discoverfed. 

NOTE: I only use the white board functions for math interactions drawing etc. not for any 

team collaboration or process diagraming but it seems to be working fine in

Chrome Version 109.0.5414.119 (Official Build) (x86_64).

Also...dare I mention Time Machine?

I’ve just restored Miro.app v0.7.45 dated September 20, 2023 8:01 AM.

The first time I invoke v7.45 by double clicking file in Fiinder it mentions there is a newer version, but allows the app to run.

However the 2nd time i invoke the app it performs an autoupdate to version 8.

Even when I place the app file in the Application folder found under user and rename it Miro v-7-45.app.

I’m not happy but for now I’ll use the browser version.

If anyone knows a straight-forward way to disable that auto update please let us know.

Thank you.

JL

Here’s my final reply from Miro support…

“We definitely understand your frustration with not being able to use Miro the way you're most comfortable with (the Desktop App).

If you're not ready to upgrade your OS version, you can continue using Miro in the browser.

We cannot offer alternative solutions as much as we'd love to. Apple stopped supporting Mojave 2 years ago and, as with any other application, ours has minimum system requirements. We have an obligation to keep our applications secure, which means that sometimes we will lose support for older systems as we keep with the upstream.

Also, as mentioned, we must ensure that our users are operating with the most secure and updated versions of our software, which is why we can't provide links to an older version of our application.”

I think the two salient points are

Apple support for Mojave ended 2 years ago and

We can use the browser version.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Thanks for the update, @John Little 🙏

Userlevel 1

Here’s the response I got from the Support team. With no mention of a previous version being available, I can only take that as being a “No.” 😔

After updating to the latest Electron version, our Desktop App can no longer support macOS versions older than 10.15 (Catalina), since Google has dropped support for Chromium on those versions. Help Center will be soon updated.

Same old story here. Paying a license should not put me in the condition of costly - and mostly unnecessary - upgrades. Please also tell me who feels that an app that install itself on a system it can’t run onto should be considered an upgrade.

Please allow us to download older versions of Miro.