Skip to main content

I have 1 personal board, not private, not a customized template, just a place where I’m keeping notes and persona planning. 

I upgraded to get high-res export, but no longer need that. 

If I dowgrade back to the free plan (which was fine for me), do I still have editable access to my board?

@Matt Steinruck - Ahhh, here it comes… a one word answer:

If I dowgrade back to the free plan (which was fine for me), do I still have editable access to my board?

Yes :)

You need to following these steps in order to get back to a regular, functioning Free Plan:

1. Cancel your paid subscription: How to cancel your subscription
  2. Downgrade your plan: Downgrading your plan
  3. And, once you have downgraded, if you still receive the a “This board is locked” warning, then you need to follow these steps to unlock the board: The board is locked 

Hi @Matt Steinruck 

Thanks for reaching out to the Miro Community!

Yes, after downgrading to the Free plan, your board will remain editable! In Miro's Free plan, the 3 most recently created or edited boards are available for editing and collaboration. So, as long as your board is one of those 3, you'll still have full access to edit it.

If your team has more than 3 boards before the downgrade, only the 3 most recently created or edited ones will remain editable, while the others will switch to view-only mode. You can delete or archive older boards to make room for new ones, or copy inactive boards for editing. For more details, check out this guide.

Also, If you’re interested in learning more about some of Miro’s biggest product updates that may be relevant to your use case, save your spot here at our Canvas ‘24 event happening October 8th. Please let me know if you have any additional questions – happy to help!

Hope this helps!

Eca, Robert, 

I downgraded back down to a Free plan, and now receive this message on my only board which I’ve been editing for months and has all my stuff on it. 

How do I get my edit-ability back within “Free” as you mentioned and assured would remain?

I’ve tried following the advice on this post, to ensure I only have 1 board in my account, and have tried to ‘add team members,’ but it keeps pestering me to “renew a subscription” to even add teams members.

This is just a personal board! A place to keep my life notes and planning, which is all it ever was for in the Free space. How can I just simply return to that?

Eca, Robert, 

I downgraded back down to a Free plan, and now receive this message on my only board which I’ve been editing for months and has all my stuff on it. 

How do I get my edit-ability back within “Free” as you mentioned and assured would remain?

Hi @Matt Steinruck,

I noted this in my earlier reply. Have a look at the “This board is locked” article.

I appended my note - I did the things noted in that article. 

(I don’t see a way to “add a team.” It’s just me - and adding any team members flags a “you need a subscription” page)

Nothing’s working to unlock my board. 

What am I missing? 

@Matt Steinruck - Since we have no insights in to the status of your account, and the cancelling and downgrading to Free Plan steps listed above are not working for you, I have converted your post into a support ticket - you should have received an email notifying you of the new ticket.

Thank you Robert. 

Much appreciated. 

Hi @Matt Steinruck,

Sorry for taking this long to respond.

I see you’ve been in contact with support but was directed to our Billing team. Although your case was in queue to the right team, I think I may have answer to your situation.

In your screenshot, there’s a banner that says your team called Personal is locked. This is usually what happens when

1. A board from an expired subscription was opened/accessed/edited
  2. An expired paid team is accessed

The banner that says the team is locked will be displayed at the top of the board and the dashboard.

If you indeed was able to downgrade to a Free plan successfully, this banner would not show up.

You mentioned that you’ve follow the steps in this article: The board is locked, However, this does not apply to your situation completely yet, because you’d need to downgrade first to a Free plan.

Here’s a step by step process I would recommend you follow to ensure that your board will become accessible again:

1. Click the Choose your plan button and downgrade your expired plan to a Free plan.
  2. Once done, you should be able to access the locked board again and edit it.

Please let me know how it goes!

You’re a life-saver!

I had believed that, since I cancelled the paid plan, it would roll back to the Free plan by default.

Moreverover, the “Free plan” button was grayed out in the box, so I didn’t think it was clickable. 

Your solution did, in fact, bring me back to where I need to be. Thank you so much!!

@Matt Steinruck - Glad to hear you are back in business!

For all future readers, I updated my initial reply to be numbered vs. bulleted list, and to explicitly state that you need to complete all steps listed. 

You need to following these steps in order to get back to a regular, functioning Free Plan:

1. Cancel your paid subscription: How to cancel your subscription
  2. Downgrade your plan: Downgrading your plan
  3. And, once you have downgraded, if you still receive the a “This board is locked” warning, then you need to follow these steps to unlock the board: The board is locked 

Hi @Matt Steinruck 

Happy to hear your issue was resolved! If you’re interested in learning more about some of Miro’s biggest product updates that may be relevant to your use case, save your spot here at our Canvas ‘24 event happening October 8th. Please let me know if you have any additional questions – happy to help!