Question

Dot voting and Sticky Notes

• 6 August 2021
  • 3 replies

I’m relatively new to MIRO and my company have taken on the tool for in-house collaboration.

My scenario is that I want to facilitate a session where collaborators will Sticky Note their ideas and then the group will dot vote on those to take forward. I’ve created my first board for this purpose.

I want to preload the board with dot votes so I can concentrate on facilitation, rather than being a ‘board gardener/caretaker’, as I will be the sole facilitator.

The problem is the last item added to the board is at the front, meaning pre-loaded dot votes will go behind a sticky note when moved by default. 

This was noticed by the two testers of my board as I have a frame where uses can familiarise themselves with MIRO when the dot votes disappeared behind their sticky notes.

Is there anything I can do to smooth this process (other than have to ‘bring to front’ the dot votes during the session after the last sticky was added)? 

Thanks,

David

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@David Hook - Good catch by your tester. It has been a while since I have considered this as, similar to your dot pre-load strategy, I regularly pre-load sticky notes too, as the goal of my sessions isn’t to have participants create sticky notes.

You could create a few sticky note piles on your board and then either send them all to the back or the dots all to the front.

Tip: Shift + drag to multi-select a group of objects and then PgUp or PgDn to bring to front/send to back. More shortcuts here.

In this GIF, I am selecting one sticky note and then using Ctrtl/Cmd+C and Ctrl/Cmd+VVVVVVV… to create a pile of sticky notes.

@Robert Johnson Thank you for your reply.

My intention was to have the dots pre-loaded and for the user to introduce the sticky notes themselves.

Hence the issue with the Sticky notes being ‘at the front’.

However, I could pre-load the Sticky notes too, at which point everything is within ‘control’ as in your demo.

I’m still hesitant to do that as I don’t know how many ideas might be shared within the session (and don’t want to limit with Sticky note numbers) and also (less importantly) the sticky notes would need to be given a home within my boards design.

Any alternative ideas given this?

Thanks

David

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@David Hook - Given your scenario, you may need to resort to bringing the dots to the front as efficiently as possible, which for me has been two steps:

1. Shift + drag to select them all
  2. PgUp hotkey to bring them to the front.

Give my mouse is within 4 inches of my PgUp key, I can do this step in 1.5 seconds. And if you have a co-facilitator, you would ask them to do this step for you.