decision tree - how to make it actually work?

• 26 June 2022
  • 7 replies

Hi,

I’m making a decision tree, every “page” has 2 options to pick, which leads (with a hyperlink) to the next page.

At the end, I would like to export it to PDF and make it actually work, like when you choose one of the options it leads you to the next branch in the tree.

Thank you all :)

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Roi Bareket

I’m making a decision tree, every “page” has 2 options to pick, which leads (with a hyperlink) to the next page.

I’ll assume by “page” you mean a page of a PDF that was exported from a Miro board.

At the end, I would like to export it to PDF and make it actually work, like when you choose one of the options it leads you to the next branch in the tree.

While you can link to objects on a Miro board from other objects, when you export the board to a PDF, the links will not be anchored links/bookmarks in the outputted PDF.

To see an example of this, I created a quick board with three frames: in frame # 1, there are two sticky notes which have links to the other two frames. When I export the PDF, the links point back to the source Miro board (see attached PDF).

The board:

NOTE: The links in the PDF are to a board that I would have eventually deleted - not relevant for the purpose of this demonstration, but I am still pointing this out in case anyone questions why the board doesn’t exist.

Hi Robert,

Thank you so much!

I made the links as you mentioned, my next question is how do I export the whole miro board as a PDF BUT - Showing only one frame at a time. From what I saw export to PDF is able only with the whole board together and not with “single” frames.

Hope it’s not to much to ask…

Thank you once again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Roi Bareket - The board export → PDF will export all frame as their own page in a PDF, including frames that are in frame. So, if I had three fames inside of one frame (a total of 4 frames), I will end up with a 4-page PDF. More on this here:

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017572754-How-to-export-your-board#h_1feb9f36-ada2-4306-a03c-93deb1285044

If you only need to export some of the frames, you can multi-select the frames you do want to export and use the Export to PDF from the context menu. More on this here: 

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017730953

Hi @Robert Johnson ,

I did that, the problem is my links in the PDF directs me to the MIRO APP instead of the page that I want in the PDF.

Is there a way that the links in the PDF will be as they were set at the MIRO?

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Roi Bareket - Yes, the links in the exported PDF will direct you the corresponding frame on the Miro board, both in the browser or Miro desktop app - you can try this by downloading the PDF I attached and clicking on the links on the sticky notes on page #1. I made the board public for now, so it will direct you to either Frame 1 or Frame 2.

the problem is my links in the PDF directs me to the MIRO APP

If you are referring to the mobile or tablet app, I not sure what will happen on various platforms. I opened the PDF in my Android device in the Gmail app and the link to me to Chrome mobile, and to the correct frame. I then used the “open in mobile app” link on the Chrome mobile version and I was taken to the correct frame in the mobile app.

Hi @Robert Johnson,

Sorry for being misunderstood. My point was that when I click the link in the PDF, It is taking me OUT of the PDF, and directs me to either the website or the app.

Is there a way that the links will be keep me in ONLY the PDF?

Thank you once again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Roi Bareket - I just noted that my first reply was missing the key word of “not”:

While you can link to objects on a Miro board from other objects, when you export the board to a PDF, the links will not be anchored links/bookmarks in the outputted PDF.

So, no, links in the exported PDF will not link to other pages in the PDF.