Creating shapes for Value Stream Mapping

• 12 January 2022
  • 6 replies

Hi Miro Community!

I am trying to find a way to use Miro for Value Stream Mapping. I see there are templates out there with elements of VSM, but not one i can find that contains the shapes i need. For example, the customer shape in VSM is 3 sides of a rectangle, with 3 triangular points on the top. 

Is there a way to create a custom shape, or does anyone know of a template that contains the generally accepted shapes for VSM?

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Adam Hull - 

You could create a bunch of custom shapes using Miro’s built-in shapes and grouping or using the line tool and grouping. You could then create a custom template with these shapes and use that on VSM-focused boards.

Kiron

Thank you! I will have to look at some of the articles on how to create custom shapes.

I used the Chevron workflow in PPT to create several images (2, 3, 4 shapes).  I pasted those shapes into miro, added a textbox and then grouped the shape and text boxes.  Voila.  It is a CLUDGE, but gets the job done.

Oh, that is a great idea! Thank you!

@Adam Hull  I just did one better on the Chevron.  This one allows you to change the colors within miro and easily place as many of these shapes together as you like.  Here is the Process:  1. From the Shapes menu, create a rectangle and set color to pink and type “Stage 1” in the textbox, 2. From the Shapes menu, create a triangle and set color to the same pink and place it on the right side of the rectangle, 3. Copy the triangle, change the color to the miro board background (F2F2F2), which I got by taking a screenshot with Snagit and then analyzing the color to get the hexcode, and place the triangle over the left end of the rectangle, 4. Group the two triangles and the rectangle.  Now you can copy that group as often as you need and change the color of the rectangle, text, and right side triangle.

Userlevel 6

Hi @Adam Hull thank you for posting this. We’ve just released our value stream mapping shape pack, here you can find my post with more details.

I’ll close this thread, so if you have any feedback please feel free to drop it in the new post.

Thank you!