Content is duplicated even when board is locked

• 26 October 2022
  • 3 replies

We’re having an issue with some of our Miro boards where we have them locked yet participants are accidentally duplicating the content anyway. We have all the content locked down but then participants are placing sticky notes etc over it - somehow the content that is locked is being duplicated. Just wondering what would be causing that and how we can fix it? 

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Jilanne -

Just because content is locked doesn’t mean that users can’t click on objects and duplicate them. It just prevents them from modifying or deleting the original objects but they could duplicate an object and move it over the original one. They could also create new objects and place them over the locked ones.

You’d need to modify the copy content permissions OR take away full edit permissions from the users to prevent such behavior.

Kiron

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Here is another post theat goes into more detail re duplicating locked objects and how there may be no way to stop it from happening:

https://community.miro.com/ask-the-community-45/stop-ability-to-copy-and-paste-protected-locked-elements-4007

I should also clarify that the board content settings exist to limit the copying/downloading of objects away from a board. There is no setting that I know of to stop the duplication of objects on a board -- someone please correct me if I am wrong about this.

Ok that’s great thanks! I didn’t realise that was the case when locking boards. Thanks for letting me know - it makes sense. 

What we did in the end that helped was to place a transparent square over the content and locked that, then participants could place their sticky notes and text boxes etc over the transparent square - and if they managed to duplicate it, it was only that square that was copied and not the whole board.