Answered

Confused about how to add students to a project

• 7 September 2020
  • 12 replies

I cannot seem to add all my students in a class to a project. I’ve added them to my Education team, but can’t see all their individual boards when I try to add them to a project (However, I can go to their boards via link). I suspect it’s because some of them my have created their own team? Don’t know. They appear as members of my team, but I can’t

see their boards even though all of the students have given me editing permissions. See the attached screen shots of a student who I have been able to add to my board (Samantha) and one that I haven’t been able to add (Cassie).

icon

Best answer by Robert Johnson 7 September 2020, 07:21

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Jon Freach.

After a few reads, I believe I understand what is going on. You are trying to add a board that was created in/belongs to the team Utexas Team to a project that is in the team Education team. Unless someone else can correct me, only boards that exist under the same team where the project exists can be added to that project.

So, given Cassie’s board is another team, she would have go to the dashboard of the Utexas Team team, select the ellipsis menu of the board, and select Move to account and select Education Team. Once she has done that, you should see it in your Education team dashboard and be able to move it to any project in your team (instructions on moving a board to a project further down this reply).

A few other things to clarify for you and anyone else reading this post:

confused about how to add students to a project

To add members/students to a Project, you would:

1. Click on the Project name from your Education Plan’s dashboard.
  2. Click on the “+” symbol to the right of your Project name which will launch the Add members to [project name] window.
  3. Select the team member you want to add.
  4. Click Add.

I’ve added them to my Education team, but can’t see all their individual boards when I try to add them to a project

When you add a member to a project, this does not add any boards to a project. This would explain why you can still load their boards by browsing to the URL, but don’t see them in the project. Also, as we have discussed above, you can only add boards to a projects that both exist in the same team.

One you have created a project, you would need to move boards into the project. You would do this from the your Education Plan’s team dashboard by

1. Clicking All boards.
  2. Clicking a board’s ellipsis menu.
  3. And then Move to project.

And finally selecting the project where you’d like to move the board:

The moving of boards into projects is a bit tedious. If you agree then I suggest that you take a few seconds to vote for the following Wish List Idea: Bulk Move: copy and duplicate of Boards between accounts and projects

The Projects help article may provide some additional insights into Projects in Miro and the Teams → Projects → Boards hierarchy.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Jon Freach - Here’s a tip on how you can ‘bookmark’ boards using the Starred boards feature. This is handy when you have access to a board that resides on a team you are not a member of, but want to easily want to load this board at anytime without having to refer to the URL that someone sent you, e.g., in an email.

Starring a board

In your situation where Cassie’s board is a part of the Utexas Team, you could

1. Open the board.
  2. Star it using the star icon to the right of the board name.

Accessing Starred boards

Now to get to Cassie’s board from your Miro dashboard, just click on Starred:

NOTE: The Starred page is at your account/profile level, so it doesn’t matter which team you have selected on the left in your Miro dashboard - you will see all boards that you have Starred.

Here’s the Starred Boards excerpt from the Dashboard help article:

Starred boards

For quick access to important boards, star them so they appear at the top of your dashboard.

mceclip0.png
Star a board in a Grid view

mceclip1.png
Star a board in a List view

⚠️ The ★Starred section shows the boards which were chosen in any team of your profile.

mceclip6.png
Starred boards

Thanks, Robert. This is really helpful. It also suggests that I should ask my students to make sure that I’m a member of their “team” in addition to having editing rights to their boards. Seems like if I am a member, then I could see and add their boards to my team, right?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

You’re welcome!

Seems like if I am a member, then I could see and add their boards to my team, right?

If you are added as a member of their team, you will be able to see their boards while in their team’s Miro dashboard, however you still won’t be able to use the Move to project action to have the board show up in a project that is in another team.

Hmm. So then why can I add some students project boards to my project but not others? Have those that I cannot add created some condition, such as a “Team” on their end that is impeding my ability to do that? They must be, but I can’t figure it out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

You can only add Boards that are located in your Team to Projects that are in your Team. You can find the board’s Team/Project location by viewing the board’s Board details.

In your example, you were able to add Samantha’s DES374_Samantha_S* board to your DES 374 Fall 2020 Project because it is located in the Education team team:

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

What can often happen is that someone is a member of more than one team and they click Create board from one team dashboard when they should have been in another. If Cassie’s board should actually reside in your team called Education team, then she (as the board Owner) will have to use the Move to account option to move it to the Education team.

Super. That’s what I thought. Will let them know!

jon

So, me again. Sorry but how does one move their board? I know that you said use the Move to Account option but I can’t find it.

jon

Actually, I figured it out. I had all my students sign up for a free edu acct with Miro. Is there any reason they wouldn’t see the option to move their board to another account in the drop down menu?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Only the board owner will have the option.

Example of board that I am not the owner of:

Board I am the owner of:

Ah, thanks again!