Comments lost on MIRO board

• 5 April 2021
  • 4 replies

Hi guys,

We are using a MIRO board in an educational project, and 2 days ago lots of people made many comments on each other’s work there, but today the course teacher cannot find her comments anymore. She is board owner. We tried looking in Activity log for anything like “Deleted Comment”, or “Deleted Shape” (as I can imagine that deleting a shape with a Comment attached to it would delete the comment as well), but no luck. Also looking in Comments tab to Show Resolved Comments doesn’t show the lost comments.

Commenting is an important piece of this academy we are doing, as students and teachers rely on this function a lot as a communication, so it’s unfortunate if we can lose comments and can’t find their traces.

Could someone help?

Thanks

Egor

Robert Johnson 3 years ago

@Egor Sviridenko - From a test of my own, when I delete an object that has a Comment attached to it, the Comment is also deleted. When I restore the delete object, the Comment is restored along with it. Okay, cool. On to the next test…

I deleted a Comment on its own and it did show in the Activity List as being deleted, however, I could not restore it:

Not cool. So, I reviewed the Activity List Help Center article, which states:

The following content is available for restoration: 

• Any content deleted from the board during their current active session and 30 minutes after the content was deleted in case the session is over 
  • The last 1000 objects deleted from the board – if the restoration occurs more than 30 minutes after the content was deleted
  • Any content deleted from the board if the objects were selected and deleted simultaneously for an indefinite period of time – until the next 1000 objects are deleted

Please note that there can be edge cases. For more details, please refer to this article

The “this article” link takes us to the Restoring board content article, which states:

#1 - Perhaps this is what is causing the “Some objects were not restored” error that I received. I suppose I would not agree the deletion of a Comment as being an “edge case”.

#2 - Was the board you are working on perhaps duplicated since the initial session?

Another question: Were the board owner’s comment ones that they initially created, or replies to other’s comments (or both)?

One last way to look for them is by filtering in the search box:

No Official Support for Free/Education Plans

This appears to be the unfortunate downside of using a product for free. However, if there is a bug or there was data loss--which happened last year--there is not much the general Miro community can do to help users such as yourself. Hopefully someone else on the forum will be able to offer a better reason as to why this has happened, and how to recover the comments.

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hi @Egor Sviridenko 

Welcome to the Miro Online Community!

You can check out the activity list https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017730913-Activity-List

or

contact support team https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020185799

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Egor Sviridenko - Perhaps the comments were marked as "resolved". If so, then you will also need to enable "show resolved" comments.

Full details in the Comments Help Center article. 

Thanks @Robert Johnson 

I did try that, the missing Comments aren’t showing up. I am wondering if MIRO may have had a data loss issue, is there a way to check that knowing that as a Free plan we don’t have access to support directly?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Egor Sviridenko - From a test of my own, when I delete an object that has a Comment attached to it, the Comment is also deleted. When I restore the delete object, the Comment is restored along with it. Okay, cool. On to the next test…

I deleted a Comment on its own and it did show in the Activity List as being deleted, however, I could not restore it:

Not cool. So, I reviewed the Activity List Help Center article, which states:

The following content is available for restoration: 

• Any content deleted from the board during their current active session and 30 minutes after the content was deleted in case the session is over 
  • The last 1000 objects deleted from the board – if the restoration occurs more than 30 minutes after the content was deleted
  • Any content deleted from the board if the objects were selected and deleted simultaneously for an indefinite period of time – until the next 1000 objects are deleted

Please note that there can be edge cases. For more details, please refer to this article

The “this article” link takes us to the Restoring board content article, which states:

#1 - Perhaps this is what is causing the “Some objects were not restored” error that I received. I suppose I would not agree the deletion of a Comment as being an “edge case”.

#2 - Was the board you are working on perhaps duplicated since the initial session?

Another question: Were the board owner’s comment ones that they initially created, or replies to other’s comments (or both)?

One last way to look for them is by filtering in the search box:

No Official Support for Free/Education Plans

This appears to be the unfortunate downside of using a product for free. However, if there is a bug or there was data loss--which happened last year--there is not much the general Miro community can do to help users such as yourself. Hopefully someone else on the forum will be able to offer a better reason as to why this has happened, and how to recover the comments.